Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
srikumar
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Guys come on...Don't you guys realise what else is happening around you.This issue is not only with the BADAGA community, it is with INDIANS...Let me give you a few examples...My recent finished college days gave me an opportunity to meet quite a few people from all over Tamil Nadu and a few more from the north.

Well, the age of students in the final year is at the most 21...I was shocked to hear in my SECOND year from quite a few of my friends that they knew girls (cousins, relatives or even their own sisters) younger than them who were already married...The worst shock was yet to come...You know the feeling we have when we are in college that we are young and fresh and even though the 4 years go by we dont feel any older...Just after I finished my course I received news that my friend (a girl from my batch) was married...It hit me like a punch to the gut...Most of my friends were talking 'HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN??!!!' Most of these girls have dreams but end up bearing their share of the weight of marriage so it becomes really tough to pursue those dreams especially if they are in highly demanding fields like engineering and medicine.

So you see? Its not only the Badagas...its everywhere...And this argument can go on and on...I know it has stopped...rather suddenly Id say...On one hand we can blame the community for all their superstitious and out dated gestures...on the other hand we can blame the girls for accepting (though I daresay with a heavy heart) whatever the society gives them...then again we can also blame the parents who give in to the pressure from the society...And I believe the perfect solution was given by Purni.

All you guys out there 'PLEASE LOOK FOR EDUCATED GIRLS' (well at least to an extent up to which your ego dosent hurt too much icon_wink.gif ) and after marriage 'PLEASE DO ANYTHING IN YOUR MEANS TO ENCOURAGE AND PUSH THEM UP THE LADDER TO THEIR DREAMS'

Starter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think most of the people participated in this discussions are living in cities/towns/abroad. They may have a occassional visit to their native places once or twice in a year and really they may not have a time to watch the things closely that are happening in villages.

If u have a time to watch closely u will really come to know that the Breadwinner for the family will be women in 75% of cases. Our entire community is now depending on these women. If they fails our entire community will definitely fail. Their life may not be modernised one are they may not be able to cope up with modern life as the town people can. But they have the ability to run their family on thier own without having much complaint of this extra burden.

Hence the author has to change her topic as below. Now the discussions can start on this topic.
"IM here to discuss about the badaga Men.Are they bold enough to face the outside world or still like a coward?????????????"

This is not to hurt any of the badaga men. But, this is a fact happenign in our villages. Really we should be proud of our women rather than discussing on some unnecessary topics on our women.
srikumar
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OUCH!!! OK OK...who said we aren't proud of them? I just wanted to make the world a better place for them. But thanks for pointing out the being away from hatti thing...By the way if the women there are the bread winners, do you mind telling me what the men there do? smoke, drink, eat and sleep? No offence to anyone icon_wink.gif

Starter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My intention is not to defend or offend anybody. I have written these things Which I have watched in recent past.
srikumar
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you haven't understood what i said...I never argued with you...I merely asked you a question (out of curiosity)..If women are the bread winners, then what do the men in those families do?

Starter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

shaolinstorm wrote:
I think you haven't understood what i said...I never argued with you...I merely asked you a question (out of curiosity)..If women are the bread winners, then what do the men in those families do?

I hope u r from Karimorra Hatti and at present living in Coimbatore which is very nearest place to our villages comparatively. So, I thought that u might have better understanding over our people than me since i hoped u may have frequent visit to ur native place.

Hence, I didn't expect this question has been asked due to curiosity. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
srikumar
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Though my residence is in Coimbatore I haven't stayed here for quite some time now. And for personal (this is strictly personal, not even family) reasons I don't visit my native very often...Does that explain your doubt?

Anyway if I knew the answer to my question, why would I even ask you in the first place???!!!!! and I don't see any harm in you answering such a simple question.

Starter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Sri,
Here is my reply for ur question. Yes, as u said our men smoke, drink. But it is a common thing for men belongs to all community. This can not be changed since these things can be changed only if the particular person decide to give up these habits on his own by considering the pros and cons.
But there are other things we can find out in which our men are lagging behind. You see in Nilgiris at present there is hardly any scope for any economical development. Moreover the rates for tea leaves is considerably decreased due to which many people are suffering economically. In general the rates of agricultural products always have more fluctuation than any other products. Because of this not only our people are suffering but many people doing agriculture products are suffering.

Moreover, these things are not only happening now but as for as my knowledge is concerned it is happening from last 15 to 20years. But still our men in villages had not learnt a single lesson and still depending on only tea leaves and not coming forward to try for any other jobs and business except few. This is really very sad as far as our community is concerned.

If At least 50% of our men can go for some other jobs/business other than agriculture, our economical problems can easily be solved. Whether everybody in this 50% can get a job or not this may be a question in present circumstances. But the basic thing is that our men are more reluctant to put their efforts on this front. This is where our women are mcomparatively courageous than our men. At least they are trying and doing something to feed their family.

Hence, I think it is better to think whether our men are bold enough instead of thinking and discussing about our women.

Moreover i really sad that this topic has been raised by one of our women who i think really doesn't know the present situation of our community.
vivekraju
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can't accept the statement that men drink smoke and sit idle,there may be some exceptional cases but we cant blame all men in village.I frequently visit my native and except few men all others r employed either they go to field or do some work in factories.I accept that women in villages work,but both men and women in a family equally earn and both r bread winners.Though tea rates have gone down people dont stop going to pluck T-leaves mostly t-estate owners prefer ladies to pluck the leaves this doesnt mean that men r not working.They too go and work and earn as much as possible.And regarding improving our economical status we need to have some capital to invest but our community lack in this capital.The money they earn is just sufficient for their living and cant save even a single penny.
gopi_nath
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

vivekraju wrote:
I can't accept the statement that men drink smoke and sit idle,there may be some exceptional cases but we cant blame all men in village.I frequently visit my native and except few men all others r employed either they go to field or do some work in factories.I accept that women in villages work,but both men and women in a family equally earn and both r bread winners.Though tea rates have gone down people dont stop going to pluck T-leaves mostly t-estate owners prefer ladies to pluck the leaves this doesnt mean that men r not working.They too go and work and earn as much as possible.And regarding improving our economical status we need to have some capital to invest but our community lack in this capital.The money they earn is just sufficient for their living and cant save even a single penny.

You see vivek. I never complained about smoking and drinking and i never say that this is the only problem costing us.
My main intention is i hope very clear and i have given below once again.
"But there are other things we can find out in which our men are lagging behind. You see in Nilgiris at present there is hardly any scope for any economical development. Moreover the rates for tea leaves is considerably decreased due to which many people are suffering economically. In general the rates of agricultural products always have more fluctuation than any other products. Because of this not only our people are suffering but many people doing agriculture products are suffering.

Moreover, these things are not only happening now but as for as my knowledge is concerned it is happening from last 15 to 20years. But still our men in villages had not learnt a single lesson and still depending on only tea leaves and not coming forward to try for any other jobs and business except few. This is really very sad as far as our community is concerned.

If At least 50% of our men can go for some other jobs/business other than agriculture, our economical problems can easily be solved. Whether everybody in this 50% can get a job or not this may be a question in present circumstances. But the basic thing is that our men are more reluctant to put their efforts on this front. This is where our women are mcomparatively courageous than our men. At least they are trying and doing something to feed their family.

Hence, I think it is better to think whether our men are bold enough instead of thinking and discussing about our women.

Moreover i really sad that this topic has been raised by one of our women who i think really doesn't know the present situation of our community."
purni
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Of course I know gopinath, but how far is this appreciated? i need to know!Easaga pikkal pidingal??????????????

Starter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

purni wrote:
Of course I know gopinath, but how far is this appreciated? i need to know!Easaga pikkal pidingal??????????????

I don't think these things are to be appreciated.

You see Mrs. Purni If u r hungry and nobody is ready to feed u, then what will u do?? You will try ur best to feed urself. Isn't it ???
Do u need any appreciation for this??

Moreover from whom u want this appreciation?? Think for a second. Then u can come to know whether this appreciation really matters or not.
vivekraju
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

gopi_nath wrote:

"[/b]

Gopi,nowadays i find a pathetic situation, people in our native go to Tirupur with their family and work for 12-13 hrs per day for daily wages, they r least bothered about their health,i feel its better to go to field in our native than going out for living.
gopi_nath
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[quote="vivekraju"]
gopi_nath wrote:

Gopi,nowadays i find a pathetic situation, people in our native go to Tirupur with their family and work for 12-13 hrs per day for daily wages, they r least bothered about their health,i feel its better to go to field in our native than going out for living.

I am also aggreeing with you vivek. But, If these things have happened atleast five six years back, those people would have been in good position now. But, I am totally disaggreeing that those people has to go back to native.

And my thinking is that even if our people works hard now, they will surely find a easy way to earn money sooner or later since I have a confidence that our people are brilliant enough. Moreover, there are many oppurtunities are there to earn money in cities as compared to nilgiris.

Also, We people are not really habituated to hard work. Hence, it may look pathetic. But, by this atleast our next generation may become ready for hardwork. So, It will be better if we think in forward direction vivek.
purni
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Im taking the same eg gopi! If im hungry, no one feeds me, n some how i try to feed myself. thats fine. but what matters is how, where, why and and when. These are to be considered the most. if every thing is fine there it should be appreciated. But ithe easaga madiyara embadhutha kelvi kuri.

View next topic
View previous topic