Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
purni
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Last edited by purni on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
pradeep_kots
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I do agree with your statement. Only those guys/gals who stay in Nilgiris get chances to speak in badaga. Current youngsters move out of Nilgiris after 10 or +2. Situation makes them to speak in English/Tamil/etc..in their day-day communication, depending upon where they stay.

As there is no proper education system in Nilgiris, it is not advisable for an youngster to stay in Nilgiris after 10/+2, if they want bright future.

Most educated parents wants their child to speak in English and their focus is toward improving their English communication skill rather than Bagada.

So, what I feel is, most don't know to speak badaga properly rather than they are pretending.
vivekraju
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Pradeep but educated Parents pretend as if they dont know Badaga,i have seen lot many badaga parents in blore speaking only English with their children and the surprise is that even they communicate only in english...

I dont know who is going to reward them or recognise them if they do so......
naveen_sankaran
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In an alien place, speaking Badugu(even if not in it's purest form) with one's family and fellow Badagas gives you a sense of uniqueness and privacy that people speaking other languages seldom enjoy.
Sacrificing it for some other language is as good as losing one's cultural background and history.
Of course, my point would only sound relevant if one feels proud of our mother tongue.
bratforall
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i agree to vivek ,people in blr tend to speak in english since they r used to it.But the society is like ,it depends on the individuals
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
rajunandha
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It is we, who make the society. We should be proud of speaking our language with our men. Show your skills towards others and always be proud of being "The Badaga".

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hey!!!!!!!!! i didnt mean it that way. english is really important. infact i speak mostly in english with my kid bcos she has to know english right from the beginning. as we are abroad english is the main language of communication. what i mean to say is some of them dont pronounce it properly. or even dont use the proper word. badaga is having an english twist. that is wat i meant. eg. one of my badaga frenz asked me" chapati ga flour ethe maake prepare maad dhu? "chapathi ga ethe maavu kaluchudhu" endhu kethale eka koranjibutravooooooooooooooooooooooooo? try to raed the above eg aloud as it is there. then ull kno the difference.

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

"Koranjibutravo" is Tamil. "Kunnibuttaaravo" OR "Kammiaagibuttaaravo" is Badugu.

Generally speaking...I think all Badagas, especially NRI's who have more disposable income, should have a copy of Paul Hockings' Badaga-English Dictionary and a host of his other publications on Badaga research in their private Library. The Dictionary, available at www.amazon.com for USD 289, albeit being a trifle expensive, is quite a steal at that price if we consider the very few documented works done on our community. It must be a priceless possession for Ages to come!
purni
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tamil and english words use maadudhuna pathi naa hegule. athe dhaaru use maada dhe ibodhuga kasta. naa hegidhadhu accent. "koranjibutaravo" endhu naa tamil use maadileyu adhu corect ah tha adadhe. english accent dhage hegule.

Last edited by purni on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
sivaraj
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Badugu mathaduvane , edeyoge odhu eradu tamil alladhu english use madohu thappille athe use madadhey ibbadhugu kashta,

ale badugu mathu aduvane , english slag dhoge mathaduvakkava
sila( mostly ennukunave / emmukuru ) idhare .. avakka unmeya mathaduva style athe kandippa ada .. pretend madiyara .. avakka adhuna ondhu styleundhuthu mathadirava enandhu naa arige..

baduge arigadhey sila kunave idhare, adhu avakka maneyavakkaa aa kunavega badugu mathe egikodule makke

10 + 2 mudichittu ,, orasu kappa kunave badugu gena buttarambadhu
muttalthana .. enatha english or bere language dhogeye mathadileyu esu varusha orsu badugu touch illadhey idhaleyu badugu mathu aduvane automatica badugu makke badhu budodhu agatha nanga baduguru ..

opena egodhundhale .. badugu mathave slag mari mathu adile .. adhu bandha .. ale avakka athemakke mathadodhu dharugu idiyambadhuna avakka aradhareya enandhu na arige ..

Sivaraj Bellie
vid_ooty
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In my opinion most Badaga parents who live abroad make the mistake of not talking to their kids in Badaga. For kids who live abroad, home is the only place where they can learn to speak badaga. Believe me they will naturally learn English beacuse everyone and everthing else beside the parents will communicate in English.
It is sad to see that many of these kids fail to bond with their grand parents and other relatives when they come to Hatty because they are not able to speak or understand the language well. To protect our language from becoming extinct in future, I believe it's the duty of NRI parents to teach our children Badaga by talking to them at home.
rajunandha
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"Well Said, Vid_ooty" icon_exclaim.gif icon_exclaim.gif

Occasional poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I totally agree with what VID_OOTY said, its the parents responsibility to make their children speak badaga at home. This trend is not only with the NRI parents its also with the parents staying in other cities in India.

Regards
Senthilvel
drrams
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In recent days, even in hatty side also most of the kids call their parents as “mom” and “dad” instead of “owwe” and “appa”. Really surprising……
I couldn’t able to understand what the exact reason is.. icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

In Colloquial terms, an adulteration in language happens rather unconsciously...over a period of time. The reasons are profound...demographic, social, political etc..., Whether it is Tamil or English, a mix is a mix. Today's Badugu has become a total cross between Tamil and Kannada and skewed in favour of the former.

Politically confined to Tamilnadu, Tamil is slowly eating into our veins and mixing in our bloodstream. Our vocabulary has lost quite a sizeable number of ethnic words to Tamil. If the same situation continues, in the next 50 years we will all be talking in Tamil with traces of Badugu strewn around...what a shame!

If "chapati ga flour ethe maake prepare maad dhu?" offends Ms.Purni, "Kuranjibutravo" is a new adulteration in the block which offends me (I don't think many Badagas use this word). That is the point which I wanted to carry home. There are no fault-finding intentions involved here; just an awareness creation. Hope Ms.Purni takes it in the right perspective.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.

View next topic
View previous topic