Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
drrams
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hethey-ya Korachuva maathu!!!

[The following lines (slogan with an outstanding hum!!??) will first be used to call our great hethey during hethey-abba]

Eay amma ellitha idhey-neyyy…engaa maayaadha kanney-yeyyy
Eay amma ellitha idhey-neyyy…engaa neleyaadha kaathi-yeyyy
Eay amma ellitha idhey-ney…engaa eeraney masi-yey..ey – Aa eayyy

Eay amma thuppadha dheevigeyyy…thayey kachidheyoney..ey
Eay amma dhoopadha ogeyaaa…thayey ogathidheyo-ney..ey
Eay amma dhukka ondhunaaa…thayey theera bhaliney..ey – Aa eayyy

Eay amma maaraa jalliyaaa…thaayey mandeya bhuttu-nee..ee
Eay amma magaala kaayaaa…thaayey kondeya katti-nee..ee
Eay amma makkava kaappa jaama manakkana bhaali-ney..ey – Aa eayyy

Eay amma baladha kaiyaaa…thayey imbi idathu-nee..ee
Eay amma edadha kaiyaaa…thayey bhethu idathu-nee..ee
Eay amma bhevara ondhuna thayey eaga-bhaliney..ey – Aa eayyy

Eay amma bettadha janavuuu…thayey bhandhidharey-ney..ey
Eay amma seemeya janavuuu…kaathu nidhidharey-ney..ey
Eay amma sinnadha maathaaa…neenu thoarabhali-ney..ey – Aa eayyy

Eay amma makka illadhaaa…thayey mangeya rella-ney
Eay amma madiluga acheyyy…kaethu bhandhidharey-ney
Eay amma madiluga acheyyy…bhandhu kodabhekku nee-yey..ey – Aa eayyy

Rams
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Dr.Ram,

That is very interesting.

Please tell me the exact occassion when this slogan / 'hym' is said, whether at Hethay Mane or at every 'hatti'?

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear JP ‘mamma’
We, the badagas use this slogan at the beginning to call hethey in a “devvaaduva” occasion especially during “hethey abba” season. Although we use this in other hatties during “poorthi”, an occasion in which hethey disciples/sishyas will be called, we normally use this in hethey maney during the aforementioned occasion and we could indeed feel something beyond….. at that particular moment. Further, we use this only in “hethey devvaaduva” occasion unlike “hethey bhajans”, which we use in all the temples in various hatties during “pujas”.

Rams
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Dr.Rams,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

One of the biggest regrets I have is that I have not gone to "Hethai " - going on the 'offical' pilgrim as part of Hethe Kararu to Bergani and Pedduva. But I did have the honour and pleasure of being part of the ceremony at Peddhuva and when Hethay Mane people had comet to Hubbathalai and Ketchigatti.

During Hethay Habba [season] One of the important rituals is 'DEVADODHU' and now I can recollect the invocation of Hethay - that is 'Hetheya Koruchuvadhu' as Dr.Ram, so nicely, explained.

The function starts in hattis in the evening whenever the Hethai Mane people - the villagers, including the PUJARI from either Beraganni or Peddduva - are invited. They are ceremoniously welcomed and taken to the Suthugal - near the temple. Thuppadhittu / Ennae'hittu is served and people sit around a fire.

The tempo is slowly built up. One or two persons from the Hethe Mane start playing the Bugiri after invocation - Hetheya Koruchuvodhu.

As I am writing this I am getting goose pimples - the hair rising in the back of the neck (மெய் சிலிர்க்கிறது) for the occasion is so solemn and the atmosphere is thick with anticipation. The bugiri may look very simple but the musical notes played on that by the experts can make any one forget this world and transport to another world. The music is 'OH ennu Hethai, Odee Baali' or as Dr.Ram has mentioned.

The Poojari or the 'chosen one ' with his uncut long hair and without the shirt starts swaying to the music in standing position and obviously in a trance.

When the time comes, he gushes forth a scream and the music stops. Now he is truly POSSESSED by HETHAY and starts saying 'vaakku' - predictions. It may be general to the hatti or specific to a person or family. HE chooses him/her/them by throwing an 'embai - lime'. The person so chosen, kneels before th PUJARI and addresses him as HETHAY.

Once HE[THEY] finishes, at a signal the music starts again and the process continues.

Incidentally, in 'devvadodhu' - the Pujari or the other Chosen ones speak while in trance in BADAGA only till midnight. If it continues after that the 'predictions' are given in Kannada.

Occasional poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi there,

My personal opinion is that before we post somethings in the internet; we should consider and think about if it will cause any damage.

Since the forum is open to public (not just badagas); we should consider keeping sensitive stuff within ourselves (only amoung badagas on a need basis).

The concern is that it shouldn't be misused.

Thanks
Siva

View next topic
View previous topic