Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

R HaldoraiFirst Published : 13 Sep 2008 04:24:00 AM ISTLast Updated : 13 Sep 2008 09:43:28 AM ISTCOIMBATORE: The Save Nilgiris Campaign (SNC) has stressed the need for reconsidering the declaration of the Nilgiris as the reserved parliamentary constituency as it deprives the native Badagas of their fundamental right to represent their constituency in the parliament and lose their heritage status.

Talking to Express here on Friday, SNC president Dharmalingam Venugopal said the delimitation exercise declaring the Nilgiris as reserved seemed to be based on cold statistics.

Badagas, the single largest community, have a distinguished cultural heritage, he pointed out.

“For ages Badaga polity has been organised and democratic with clearly demarcated boundaries and leadership at the level of hamlets, villages, divisions of the Nilgiris region. The Badaga community is unique and its demand to declare it a tribal community clearly rests on credible historical, cultural, economic and political evidence.

Chief Minister M Karunanidhi and former chief minister J Jayalalithaa had recommended the Badaga case to the Centre to include it in Scheduled Tribe list. However, their applications are stuck with the Registrar of Census who seems to have raised some queries,” Venugopal said.

Badagas are community of about 2 lakh living in over 450 hamlets scattered across the Nilgiri plateau, speaking their own language and bearing a distinct culture.

A recent survey conducted by the SRM University students in Badaga villages shows that only 16 per cent of the households have a monthly income of over Rs 10,000, while 32 per cent have reported an income of less than Rs 2,000.

Abject poverty never existed among the Badagas thanks to their sharing and caring social system. However, in the recent years migration of Badagas to nearby cities in the plains like Coimbatore and Tirupur and Bangalore in search of jobs has been on the rise.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The above was an article in a e-magazine, link given below:

http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?artid=gcyH9FSst8M=&Title=Call+to+remove+reserved+tag+from+Nilgiris+LS+seat&SectionID=vBlkz7JCFvA=&MainSectionID=b7ziAYMenjw=&SectionName=EL7znOtxBM3qzgMyXZKtxw==&SEO=Nilgiris

I couldn't stand it...so my comments below:

Karunanidhi is playing a damp squib to limit the election of representatives to curb the rising Badagas who are prospering in all walks of life. The UPA is dancing to the tunes being a coalition partner. Large scale migration of Srilankan Tamil refugees has taken a real toll on the district, crime rates have increased drastically over the years. Badagas are an indigenous community of the Nilgiris, one among the natives of the land unlike the migrants from elsewhere. The migration theory is an ill-conceived one, there are no evidences as on date. The dialect is similar to Kannada, but in no way has it got anything to do with mainstream kannadigas. The traditions, customs and rituals are unique and relationship with neighbouring tribes dates back to ages. Economic conditions notwithstanding, Badagas have never been in abject poverty (Unlike the rest of India, rural and Urban included), overall human development index, I presume is better than the national average. Based on the survey by students, even if we were to take the data is precise, then 32% population living on less than Rs.2000 PM is equivalent to Rs.4000 PM in the rest of India which is well above the national average, because the vital ingredient for life, food, is never a scarce commodity for a rural badaga. Having travelled all around India, South Asia and the Far East, I can safely bet that the Badagas are leading a better lifestyle and enjoy better standards of living. Badaga houses, however poor, are clean, neat and tidy.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
l_santhosh
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hari,
I think I'm not understanding the point that you wish to make.
The subject is 'Call to remove reserved tag from Nilgiris LS seat'.
Are you making a point on that?
Or are you making the point that Badagas are fairly well off?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It was not a comment against the topic, rather it was my comment on the message board to put certain participants in perspective who probably believed they were more privileged species. In all the anger, I forgot to mention it here, thanks for making me realise my fault icon_smile.gif .

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.

View next topic
View previous topic