Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sam is gone, at our Homeland. Wasn't it a blessing, having him with us? Share your thoughts, my folks!

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
ranjini
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yes hari,

Its really blessing. Its a great pleasure to talk about military people. My hatty is nearer to wellington. Our hatty is under cantonment area. So, many military people gets training nearer to our house. Its great plesure to talk with them. I would like to say some detail which i know about Sam Manekshaw.

Nickname : Sam Bahadur

Place of birth : Amritsar, Punjab

Place of death :Wellington, Tamil Nadu

Place of burial :Ooty, Tamil Nadu

Allegiance :India

Service/branch : Indian Army

Years of service : 1934-1973

Battles/wars :World War II
Indo-Pakistan War of 1947
Indo-China War
Indo-Pakistan War of 1965
Indo-Pakistan War of 1971

Awards :Padma Vibhushan
Padma Bhushan
Military Cross

Former Army Chief Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw passed away at Military Hospital in Wellington, the Defence Ministry said on Friday:

The Padma Vibhushan and Military Cross awardee, who was admitted in the hospital for some time for "progressive lung disease", had slipped into a coma earlier in the day and the end came just after midnight at 00:30 am, the Defence Ministry said in a statement.

Manekshaw, who had led India to victory in the 1971 Indo-Pak war, had developed "acute broncho pneumonia" with associated complications and his condition had been serious for the past four days.

Manekshaw assumed charge of the Indian Army, as the 8th Chief of Army Staff, on June 07, 1969. Born in Amritsar, Punjab in April 1914, he completed his schooling in Amritsar and Sherwood College, Nainital. He then joined the first batch of 40 cadets at Indian Military Academy (IMA), Dehra Dun on 01 October 1932. He passed out of the IMA in December 1934 and was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Indian Army. He held several regimental assignments and was first attached to the Royal Scouts and later to the 12 Frontier Force Rifles.

Manekshaw succeeded General Kumaramangalam as Chief of Army Staff (COAS) in June 1969.

For his selfless service to the nation, he was awarded the Padma Vibhushan in 1972 and was conferred with the honorary rank of Field Marshal in January 1973. He retired a fortnight later on 15 January 1973, after completing nearly four decades of military service.

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, that's some knowledge.

Did u know about his Wits?

Okay, there was a soldier who came with a venereal disease. His higher authorties told Sam about it.

Sam asked "What was the action taken?" The reply was " We shaved his head".

Sam said "Dammit. He didn't do that with his head! ".

Protagonists might not like what I have written, but this is me. Iam just like Sam, but, probably in a smaller scale.

Get to know more about him than mere facts, you will love him more.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Battles/wars :World War II
Indo-Pakistan War of 1947
Indo-China War
Indo-Pakistan War of 1965
Indo-Pakistan War of 1971

Hi friend, there is more broader elaboration encapsulated adding to the data you have collected, herewith.

1) There was no Indo-Pak war in 1947. There was only a movement of people.
2) Indo-China War of 1962 was not a full-fledged war as put up in the media, nevertheless it was considered a defeat to meet certain ideals.

3) Indo-Pak wars of 1965 and Kargil war of 1999 (I Collected about Rs.2000-3000 when at College and submitted to Indian Express, don't exactly remember the figures) are not full - fledged Wars.

As people generally are vulnerable to decipher, my intention is not to prove that Im being smart. I just would love my people to be more knowledgeable and encourage them in whatever ways possible. There are a Billion things which I don't know, but Iam always open to ideas and new thoughts.

Education in itself is not POWER, BUT, KNOWLEDGE IS.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
ranjini
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi hari,

If you know these much details about him u might have written before itself. It is not necessary tat every one should know Sam Manekshaw. So i just gave some details for others since you have written without head and tail. It is not necessary to write each and every incident in details. I gave only breif introduction. Also u have tried to say some details given by me is wrong . if u have any doubt u may check

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Manekshaw

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ranjini,

I never said u are wrong. That's not my intention. I appreciate your writings. Even in Wiki, which is written by people, information is not always right, so we need to be a little more careful about the source of information, that was my meaning. Have a good day.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
ranjini
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hari,

If u say tat wiki is wrong i dont know wat to tel. ok cool.. Have a nice time.

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ranjini,

Wiki is written by the people, for the people. If u need to file a suit against it, you will have to spend your lifetime moving around, and still not finding common ground. I call this phenomenon "collective media construtive exploitation".

I have written in wiki about my hatty "Manuhatti" commonly called B. Manihatty, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manu_hatti), couple of seasons ago. Each and every word that is mentioned there, is from my keyboard, typed my me. I cannot give citations / any kind of proof that it is written by me. In my honesty, I know whatever I have written is right, maybe a little exaggerated because of my emotional involvement with our people. I could have easily written something not so appropriate and still got away with it, but I do not prefer to be so. Not everybody and every information is the same.

So, my thoughts about Wiki remain unaltered. It could be at best be taken as an "Online reference library" in absolute terms without realtime justifications. At the same time, it could be used effectively as a source of first line information. The demarcation is thin, but evolved minds would understand what I mean.

So, let's get ahead with Sam, the real Hero or Uncle Sam, you know who! Thanks for the cooling tower of praise, generally Iam, with my Carlsberg or Fosters.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
ranjini
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mr. Hariharan

I appreciate ur work. But single person expressing about a small village is not equivalent to thousands of people describing about war. I donít think tat everybody will make the same mistake. My point is , In 1947 when Pakistan invaded Kashmir, Sam Manekshaw was the colonel in charge of operations at the Army Headquarters. Its ok leave it.

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, I concede.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
l_santhosh
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, Field Marshal Sam Bahadur's death is a great loss to our nation.
It is a pity that there were no central ministers, if not the Prime Minister/ President, present during the funeral.
What else can we expect from our representatives!!

Reading the glowing tributes of 'The Hindu' of his life/ career was so moving.
I'm sure our Major JP uncle would have a couple of stories to tell to all of us about Sam's heroics/ personal interactions, if any.
But our Major uncle is not to be seen on these forums for quite some time.

As to Wiki's veracity, Ranjini, Hari is correct.
Contributions to the Wiki are from people like you and me...and so not completely true.
Nevertheless, the whole world uses it. And to a large extent it is true.
But Indo-Pak 1947 war is not true.

Rest In Peace Sam!!
icon_cry.gif
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Being a Soldier / Warrior is probably one of the most thankless Jobs in the World. How true! But, as a true Soldier, and that too a Gorkha (Sam liked to be known as one, although he is a Parsi), Sam probably never expected any thanks. Love you Sam, miss u buddy.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
ranjini
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Mr.Santhosh

I have mentioned clearly, my aim is not to prove about wiki or war. I just said tat,In 1947 when Pakistan invaded Kashmir, Sam Manekshaw was the colonel in charge. If u find any mistake in this also, then im not reponsible, i din see the war in live since i was not born at tat time. So i can give the details which i got from media.I dont know why u started this issue again...

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hai,
Ok folk. Its good information any way whether its true or false. Things are to be worried if the information leads towards any black side of a famous person. So I think there is nothing much to debate. I dont think that Santhosh has restarted the issue. It was just his opinion and I find nothing to be hurt.
So Ranjini, just get cool and continue with your postings. The best thing is we shall better remember Sam for his service and forget about this wiki issue. I think I am right but if am wrong then kindly accept my apology.

Schnittsphanstrasse 3,
64287 Darmstadt, Germany.
ranjini
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I accept u gopenath. Hope u r fine. Take Care...

View next topic
View previous topic