Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
sathu
Starter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The great churn is happening now. Let me go through the economic history. Generations back our fore fathers lived in close proximity to each other. They were herdsmen. The rich were known by the number of herds he owned. Like the buffaloes and cows. The self sufficient economy sustained through few generations. Land then never had a value. It was a liability.
The second gen. saw the emergence of sowing and reaping crops which were a part fodder for the cattle and a part food for people.Samai,korali and Ragi the staple of that gen.The rich among the community were known by the number of cattle and the stock of grains in 'Balla Petti'. In this gen the barter trade with the Magga Chetti was for the 'Seele' and 'Mundu's in exchange for grains.
The third gen saw the emergence of crop husbandry with tools for cultivation;Introduced by the English who settled in Nilgiris known as 'Dhore'. The land then got its value. The herds man known as 'Dhanakara' became the least skilled profession. Then the richness was defined by the extend of land one cultivated.The commercial agriculturist arrived; selling his produce at wholesale markets at Mettuppalayam for buying more things.The thatched roof houses became Mangalore tiled. Houses became colorful with painting and cement flooring.
The fourth gen saw the emergence of the Tea as a crop of Badaga community. The government encouraged schemes made the adoption to the new crop rapid. The rich among the community were known by the Tea factory they owned and the cars they bought and bigness of the houses they built.
We are in the fifth gen. We became inefficient producers of tea. Much of the tea bushes grown out of Seeds in many parts of Kundah and kotagiri, give poor yield. The VP clone tea in majority of the Thothanad seeme and Mekkunad seeme are young bushes capable of giving good yield but then the cost of harvesting and the final price for Greenleaf out of control, the once rich planter is now a migrant in Coimbatore district and Bangalooru.
We are living in the Sixth gen. Now, the very few rich in the community are known by the Corporate and the businesses they own and control.
Every generation in the past had a strong economic association with a vocation and a particular crop. The identification of as Badaga agriculturist as a tea plantation owner nearing the end. As the small tea gardens have become unviable, they are being sold off to people from all around coming for setting up resorts and gated communities. The villages like Ketti are being acquired by other community very fast.
Without identity and the protection of the ever gregarious community, with a strong interdependent social network the families are scattered in colonies and nagars. The rich have become poor and the poor have left the serene villages for a greener pastures in the hotter plains. It is not a migration but it is an exodus. An estimated eight thousand families have left The Nilgiris approximately making about eighty Hatties. The migrant Badagas, the children of the most revered Beragani Ethey;Will they return to the Nakku Betta?
sathu
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The migration seems to be irreversible. Empty villages sans the youth and vibrancy mark the today’s hatty. We only congregate there for a habba or a funeral. There are reports of house breaking and theft. Police are on night patrol along with the local hatty men. We need to preserve the houses and temples for the generation next. The challenge is to find out whether a vocation or a commodity can make the community stay there and live in prosperity.
The nextgen is not going to be dependent on Agriculture. Our education levels have climbed an ascending path. The primary schools teaching Tamil as medium are slowly becoming extinct, with our people shunning them for more trendy English medium schools. Close to ninety percent of the kids coming out of the schools are English medium tutored and are capable of picking up fairly good spoken English. They have become recruiters’ choice in BPOs and Call Centers. Well studied among the new gen have landed in MNCs in India and abroad with fabulous salaries and perks. The Non Resident Badaga is a model and a fore runner, getting the attention of the youth. Aspiration levels of this generation are high and they have ambition to achieve some thing at global level. We are now in the starting stage of the arrival of global Badagas en mass.
Here comes the need to get united; for one we need strong networks. Traditionally we have been strong in networking socially. The Hatty network provided the safety net of economic and social security. The death funds in Hatty and the practice of ‘Thellatti’ have provided a kind of risk management tools to against the unfortunate happenings in the family. There is an urgent need to preserve the system and if necessary develop them by institutionalising through an organization. We already have a wonderful website for the community. International Badaga Association (IBA) needs to be organized as brick and mortar institution, preferably in Coimbatore which is well connected to all the Badaga Diasporas.
We need a place which can belong to each and every Badaga on this planet earth. The dream place can have a huge marriage or community hall with ample parking space for conducting many of our marriages in future. We need a temple there to inculcate the spiritual development of the future generation. It can provide a place for games and gyms for physical development, a library and a conference room for intellectual development. It can have guest houses with lodging and boarding facilities for the people visiting Coimbatore for various colleges ,hospitals and on transit to other places. It can act as place of confluence for all Badagas and can be named as IBA CULTURAL CENTER. This needs to be done urgently.
sathu
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The dream project will give a positive identity to all the members of the community. We can document our rich traditions and culture to the posterity. We can showcase to the world the richness of our life and practices. We can make every child born in the community to be proud of being a Badaga. We can get together for celebrating our successes. We can bring together the intelligentsia in the community for a periodical debate on live issues affecting our community. We can have a shop selling ethnic food from Avare, Achikke, Bathalu to Soppu which are unique to our culture. A shop selling traditional costumes like the Seele , Mandare and Mundu can be there. We can have a shop for the traditional jewels like ungara, sereppanige. For this to happen, we need to unite ourselves in this great movement physically, mentally, emotionally and financially.
These are some of the suggestions and more can come as contribution from one and all. The great temples are built by what they call in Hindi SHRAMDHAN; contribution by way of physical labour. Our community will not be found wanting in these voluntary efforts. Emotional contribution is required by way of support to the movement, few words of encouragement and a helping hand when we falter. We need the intellectual contribution of the learned in our community like the architects, builders, civil engineers lawyers, chartered accountants and bankers. We require the experience of the serving and retired government employees for getting the approvals. The last but not the least, the financial contribution from the community. Every small trickle can make a flood. The fund rising can be done through various means.
First we need to find out the land on which the project will come up. Ideal choice will be to locate it somewhere near Thudialur or any village near Vadamadurai for the reason that close to five hundred families are settled there and its becoming a Badaga Hub in Coimbatore. The cost of land there maybe around a Lakh of rupees a cent. A trust needs to be formed with eminent people of the community as trustees. Integrity and the capability to contribute for the project should be the criterion for becoming the trustee. It is not important, what we have, but, what we gave in the past or give in future is. Charity and tithing have been the finest qualities our forefathers. It was considered as sin if a Hungry Man is not fed and if the hot fire place denied to a man affected by the chillness. (Asthu Bandhamaga Annava Kodadhadhu; Berthu Bandhamaga Benkiya Kodadhadhu –pappa). There are thousands of our folks who will give their mite and money for a worthy cause in the hands of reliable people. The rich Badaga Diasporas can chip in with their monetary support. Every Badaga can contribute starting at a rupee and every village can participate in the fund rising and in shramadhan. The contributions can be made eligible for deduction under Income Tax which can encourage the salaried income tax paying elite among the community to donate more. We can enable an online process of collecting donations through Visa and MasterCard internationally and through ECS mandates nationally.
Thus, the voluntary contributions will become the bedrock for the further mobilization of funds. We can get grants from Governments or NGOs. We can get loans from financial Institutions for construction of buildings. The income generation from the project should be sufficient enough to service the loan component. The fund rising can be an ongoing process. Many Other Community associations have done the same and they have created concrete assets. Karnataka association, started by a smaller population of Mangalore people settled in Coimbatore have done that. Vokkaliga Gowders have a place of their own. The Kodava Samajs of Coorg and Kerala samaj are live examples, worthy of emulation for their charity,selfless service and unity. The small population of Jain Community runs Rajasthan Sangh , a prestigious marriage hall in the heart of R.S.puram. They run Nehru Vidyalaya, a big school in RS puram and Nehru Maha Vidyalaya a college on the outskirts of the city. There is no doubt , we are also capable of having our own place. We need to come together for they say
Coming together is beginning
Staying together is progress
Working together is success
deva_mathan
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The messages by Mr Sathu in this forum is a great and wider thinking.

Thank you sathu for your subject matter. Yes, there are Non Resident Badagas. But the concern is Resident but Non Badagas. I mean -- the english Medium schools, Marriages in Mandapams [ show of richness ], and cross marriages with non -badagas. These could be individual's choice, but there are untold stories from this trend.

Coimbatore is well meant a place, but I opine, it still drags away us from Hatties. To begin with there could be better Community halls, funded exclusively by badagas in the 4 seemai's itself.

Places like Near Manjoor [ for Kundha Seemai] .This could be used by Mercunad Seemail also & part of Porangadu Seemai -- Kotagiri Town,
and some where outskirt with in 3/4 KM from Ooty town are my thoughts.

The finance shall be authorised by various members in each seemai. To my mind it comes Wg Cmdr's name as one of the persons.

Let us pray Beragani Hettai and start the program.

Another location for large scale hatti could be near Karamadi in the Kundha road to have lower cost impact. Another location is Mettupalyam - Kotagiri Road.

Dear members pl pour your thoughts.

Cheers!

sathu
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thank You Mr Mathan for your reply.

The attempt is to make people realise the need for unity towards a concrete project. Visible and the one all can identify with. It is not just a marriage hall or a community hall. It is about a place which every Badaga can have ownership. A place not built by brick and mortar alone but, with the toil and sacrifice of our generation. It is not for only for the present but,also for the posterity.

p.s.The topic has been viewed by over fifty members.But only one reply post.
I appeal to the members to react.
gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Mr.Sathu,
Nice to see your intentions. As you said, we badagas are developing in all fields witha rocket speed. Its a good sign of development and globalisation. But I too always had a thought on the other side of the coin.
The most we move away from the Nilgiris what ever may be the cause, either for studies, jobs, business, poverty etc. the most we loose our prestigious culture. I did not mean to say that people who move out do not preserve the culture but the situations lead us to forget it. You might have seen the pages of Wing Commander Bellie Jayaprakash and his writings. One most important thing I admired is the Thoddaru Sloga, chantings during death. With out hesitation I declare that even my father does not know the Sloga. This is not the case with my father but with almost 80% of fathers. While this is the case, I think the future generations will not even have a chance to hear the slogas.
Coming to the basic needs, as you rightly mentioned we need mandapams and other facilities for sure. Some of the modern brothers criticise the habit of thellatti. But I am sure this thellatti is still helping a lot of families to atleast partially fulfill their burdens during such occassions.
I go with hands of Dev anna in the idea of arising the mandapam in Nilgiris rather than Coimbatore. People who stay out could go to the Nilgiris and fullfill their functions but it would be difficult for the people from hatties to gather in Coimbatore for marriages.
And your contribution ideas are good. To remind, already there was a big thread of discussion regarding this area. You might have read the column Contributions to Badaga Community. But suddenly there is a big halt in this area. May be our brothers faced a lot of practical difficulties in starting the trust. Ofcourse its not an easy job. Though at this moment I am unable to give any physical support, I try my level best to support ideas like these. Contributions could also be made without hesitation. Lets continue the thread.....................

With Love
Gopenath.

Schnittsphanstrasse 3,
64287 Darmstadt, Germany.
gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Greetings to all brothers and sisters!
Well. The cultural change that has arbored our community is not an unusual thing. Its a common change one could notice in all communities. But it would be our responsibility to see that this cultural change should not detoriarate our identity. For example, wearing "Mandre and Seele" during marriage and carrying " Ganji kukke" during death are basic cultures. Now I doubt how many villages still continue these things. People started thinking that these are not the necessary practices that are to be preserved while they dont have food to fill their half stomach and while they dont have money for a graduation. I have heard a lot of times the words " AMA AMA THIMBUDHUGA ITTA KAANE SASTHURA SAMBIRADHAYA VA MAADI YENAVA KANDO". While these words are being uttered by the people in hatties, I doubt whether it would be possible to preserve our cultures. Ofcourse, there is nothing to blame our people on this. Extreme poverty, lack of confidence and lack of unity makes them vulnerable to hatred towards life. While the life itself is in hatred, how would we ask our people to preserve our culture. The word "UNITY" according to me is still in its "WORD" form and it has to find its way to get into the "DEEDS" form. When things are changed from the way of speaking to the way of living, then we could see the massive Badaga Community flourishing back with its own pride and postures.

With Love
Gopenath.
sathu
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We conducted a quick occupational survey of men between the ages of 21 to 30 in Godalatty village a hatty with about 100 houses. Please see the results.
1. More than 80 families live outside the villages from Aruvangadu to Hyderabad and abroad too.
2.More than 75% 0f them are either working in occupations other than Agriculture and they are settling down in places like Bangalore and Coimbatore with no intention of returning.
3.Close to 40% of the married women are in jobs.

The exodus is on..
gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Mr.Sathu,
I am one from the biggest family from Godalatty village. I totally agree with your views and statistics. I too feel pain for the situation of my own village. To give a statistics of my own family, the total number of members in our house is 30 ( the persons who passed away are not included and the members who are married to other villages and their offsprings are also not included). Out of these 30 live members of my family, only two reside at the village. I dont hesitate to reveal this, as this would clearly depict the status of a whole family. While this is the situation of my family, we could just imagine the status of all the families in all the hatties throughout Nilgiris.

Gopenath.
sathu
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It is time for us, the migrants to get a Voters Identity Card here.
This piece of document plus a ration card is the beginning of the establishment of the identity. A simple voluntary effort, with a small team of workers who can help fellow community people to get these documents will go a long way in establishing the identity of migrants.
With the reorganization of Parliamentary constituency and the reservation of Nilgiris, the united and organised Badaga votes can be crucial in Coimbatore.
bellielic
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear All,
For the last few days Sri Sathu, is posting valuable articles, to form a Trust for our Community people.

As the Secretary of COVAI NAAKKUBETTA NALA SANGAM ( Covai Badagar Sangam ), I want to take part in this disscussion.

The Coimbatore Association is having a strong TRUST in the name of 'SADHURAGIRI TRUST' . (It means Four Mountains, in our Langage Nakku Betta)

With the Best effort of Our Prominent Leader of our Community, Sri (Dr) Capt. R BELLIE , (Founder the then President of Badaga Association, Coimbatore, and also the then President of Federation of Badaga Associations, comprising all the Associations throught the world), and with the great help of Sri Sri K N Mathalli Iyya (Hounarable Iyaa of our Community, and also one of the Bigwigs of our Community, by wealth and humanity), along with the Coimbatore Association members, formed this SADHURAGIRI Trust , with an amount of Rs.24 Lakhs. Sri Mathalli Iyaa is the Life Time Chairman, and Sri M Chandran , S/O Mathalli Iyaa , and Dr R Bellie , are the Trustees of this Trust.

Utilizing this 24 lakhs and an additional amount of 8 lakhs, and four Grounds of land, contributed by Mathalli Iyya, a beutiful Kalyana Mandapam was constructed at Easwara Nagar, Vadamadurai.

Due to non parking area and unaffordable to main road the Mandapam could not serve its purpose. At present it it is beeing used as a School, run by Mathalli Iyya family, for which they are giving rent for our Coimbatore Association.

We, the President and members of Association, now called as COVAI NAAKKUBETTA NALA SANGAM ( Covi Badagar Sangam ), are taking initiate to discuss with our Prominenet leaders Sri (Dr) R Bellie , Sri M Chandran of KNM Textiles, Sri T Gundan , Ex MLA, Sri K N Joghan , of Iyyan Textiles, Sri (Dr) H Raju , of H S Hospital, and Sri J Ravi , of Hotel Heritage Inn, (They are also the Patrons of our Association), by arranging mini conferences.

One round of Conference was taken place in Hotel Heritage Inn, and another conference is proposed in near future.

The purpose of this conferences are to expand the Trustees for the Trust, to develop the Trust Funds and activities.

So to my opinion there is a Strong Trust with Strong peoples' Guidance, in Coimbatore. This Trust may be extended with the help of all of you, our Community people living in all over the World, and can be utilized as Sri Sathu told in his articles.

The first step, for this purpose, We invite all the People living in and around Coimbatore, to become the members of COVAI NAAKKUBETTA NALA SANGAM , ( Covai Badagar Sangam ), to make it a strong one.

We expect the people like Sathu to become, not only the member, but to take over the charge of our Association.

The need of the hour is the Well Educated, Experienced, Senior Citizens, and also wellup people to become members of our Association, to make it as a Strong one.

We expect a concrete actions from one and all now.

Thank one and all.

View next topic
View previous topic