Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
kausalya
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello members and fellow badagas,
This is a quetion lingering in my mind for a long time.
What is the history of "morai" followed and why is it so important?
as far as i know they say it is because of the 4 brothers.
but at this point of time is it apt?
we r small community as such, and the "morai" system compels many to marry within close relatives and hence nilgiris is one of the worst affected areas in hereditary diseases namely sickle cell aneamia. i've already lost one cousin recently to this curse and another is living with it for some years now.
Has anyone thought about this earlier? why is that we follow customs blindly instead of analysing it to the pesent context.
Please don't take it as another young generation's misconception. I think it is time we give serious thought bout it.
I think if there is a revolution in this system, we might avoid many of the yougsters from finding thier life partner outside the community.
And that way, we can preserve our culture and language.
I've raised this issue after a long thought and hope to get your pinions on this.

Last edited by kausalya on Wed May 24, 2006 12:25 am; edited 2 times in total
santhosh1223
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[size=18] It was a good suggestion posted in the forum....

cheers

[size=12]
santhosh icon_smile.gif
[/size][/size]
sivakumar_jm
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

"While recent studies have shown more than 50% of heridetary diseases are autosomal recessive, any kind of relative marriages (neither near relation nor distant relation) should be strongly avoided". Obviously, kids don't deserve this. Unfortunately medicine has not yet grown advance enough to handle genetic issues.

Maybe parents don't know 20 yrs back, but not now. Hence it should be wise on all young people to thing 100 times about this before marriage if they are marrying relatives.
rnandhi
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

First we must analyze if this sikel cell anamea has been with us when we came into nilgiris or it has been picked up from local breeding with other local tribes(Kota, Kurumbas etc) our ayya's contribution!!!. They say that all proto austroloid population has them. In my veiw it should be checked. Also get one self checked before marriage.
naveen_sankaran
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
What are the causes of Sickle Cell Anaemia?
It is common knowledge that marriage between close relatives is not considered good for their offsprings' health.

But, is it really the cause for the afore-mentioned disease?
AFAIK, marriage between close relatives is(was?) prevalent in almost all parts of south India and in general among all muslims.
Is the disease common among those communities too?
If not, then why should it affect only people in the Nilgiris?
Does it have anything to do with the environment, diet etc?

Can someone enlighten me on this?

Even in the west it was prevalent during ancient times.
Though, it is now strongly discouraged in modern societies.
As a progressive community it's high time we too started avoiding marriages with close relatives, and still marry preferably within our community icon_smile.gif
Our community is 5 lac strong, and IMO it is not very difficult to find someone who is not one's close relative!
After all, what is the purpose of the matrimonial hosted in this very website? icon_biggrin.gif

Regards
Naveen
chavi_3
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
Even i believe that many health problems are caused marrying a close relative. Why not create an awareness to others about this situation. We can always marry someone else from the same community or other communities.
I am very fortunate to have married a person from another community.I got to learn a lot about his community just like how he learnt about ours. He indeed loves our community and is already planning to settle down in our hometown.He now understand badaga and can speak them quite well.
Other important thing abt our community is abt few hatties not being able to marry few others. How are the youngsters supposed to know who they can marry and who they cant. What if they end up falling in love icon_sad.gif ?Why not let the people know abt it in our site, it would really be useful for them.

Chavi

Occasional poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

naveen_sankaran wrote:
Hi,
What are the causes of Sickle Cell Anaemia?
It is common knowledge that marriage between close relatives is not considered good for their offsprings' health.

But, is it really the cause for the afore-mentioned disease?
AFAIK, marriage between close relatives is(was?) prevalent in almost all parts of south India and in general among all muslims.
Is the disease common among those communities too?
If not, then why should it affect only people in the Nilgiris?
Does it have anything to do with the environment, diet etc?

Can someone enlighten me on this?

My interest in sickle cell is due to the presence of trait (carriers) in my extended
family.

Sickle cell is a deformity of the blood cells that is reportedly a natural evolution
as a form of defense against malaria. It is a genetic defect that is passed on to
children by parents who are either carriers or have the disease.

Being a carrier, also called a `trait', does not mean you have the disease. You can
live a normal life. But carriers' children may be affected in the following ways:

- If one parent is a carrier and the other is normal, there is a 50% chance of
the child being a carrier.
- If both parents are carriers, there is a 25% chance that the child may have
the disease, 50% chance of the child being a carrier and only a 25% chance
of the child being normal.

Persons with sickle cell disease normally don't live past early adult stage.

Since sickle cell is known to be prevalent among Badagas, it is an absolute
must to get tested to avoid marrying another carrier
. It is a simple blood test
called the hemoglobin electrophoresis that can be done by a doctor or lab.

The below info is from the Sickle Cell information Center's web site
http://www.scinfo.org
Also see http://www.ascaa.org for more info.

What is Sickle Cell Disease?

Sickle Cell Disease is a group of inherited red blood cell disorders. Normal red
blood cells are round like doughnuts, and they move through small blood tubes
in the body to deliver oxygen. Sickle red blood cellsbecome hard, sticky and
shaped like sickles used to cut wheat. When these hard and pointed red cells go
through the small blood tube, they clog the flow and break apart. This can cause
pain, damage and a low blood count, or anemia.

What makes the red cell sickle?

There is a substance in the red cell called hemoglobin that carries oxygen inside
the cell. One little change in this substance causes the hemoglobin to form long
rods in the red cell when it gives away oxygen. These rigid rods change the red
cell into a sickle shapeinstead of the round shape.

How do you get sickle cell anemia or trait?

You inherit the abnormal hemoglobin from your parents, who may be carriers
with sickle cell trait or parents with sickle cell disease. You can not catch it.
You are born with the sickle cell hemoglobin and it is present for life. If you inherit
only one sickle gene, you have sickle cell trait. If you inherit two sickle cell genes
you have sickle cell disease.

Is Sickle Cell only in certain races or nationalities?

Sickle cell is in many nationalities including African Americans, Africans, Arabs,
Greeks, Italians, Latin Americans, and those from India. You can be Caucasian
and have sickle cell disease or trait. All races should be screened for this
hemoglobin at birth.

How can I be Tested?

A simple blood test called the hemoglobin electrophoresis can be done by your
doctor or local sickle cell foundation. This test will tell if you are a carrier of the
sickle cell trait or if you have the disease.

Newborn Screening

Most States now perform the sickle cell test babies are born. The simple blood
test will detect sickle cell disease or sickle cell trait . Other types of traits that
may be discovered include:

Hemoglobin C trait
    Hemoglobin E trait
    Hemoglobin Barts - which indicates an alpha thalassemia trait
    Beta thalassemia trait

What is sickle cell trait?

Sickle cell trait is a person who carries one sickle hemoglobin producing gene
inherited from their parents and one normal hemoglobin gene. Normal hemoglobin
is called type A. Sickle hemoglobin called S. Sickle cell trait is the presence of
hemoglobin AS on the hemoglobin electrophoresis. This will NOT cause sickle
cell disease.

Rabin
srikumar
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I completely agree with Kausalya, that there should be a broader approach when it comes down to marriage. It is absolutely absurd to insist on marriage within relatives of any kind, when there are so many people who are aware of the sometimes fatal consequences.

The elders should first be made aware of these facts. Because this generation could probably be the last of the worst affected ones. If God wishes it will probably be the last of the ignorant generations, with so many youngsters taking more and more interest in education.

By the way, could anyone explain to me what exctly is 'more'.

Occasional poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
Check this pdf out. It is really informative with respect to consanguineous marriages and consequences.
Must Read.

http://www.westone.wa.gov.au/portaladmin/PDF/westoneupload/factsheet_cons.pdf
sivakumar_jm
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Its not just sickle cell, there are a whole bunch of other genetic disorders as well in our community. I don't like this to mention here since it might hurt some, I have personally seen some people in our community have other genetic disorders as well (as carriers), but they themselves are not aware of why this happened and thinking its karma. So it would be wise on us to consider this before marrying any relatives since there is always a 50% chance of getting an innocent kid suffer. Thanks.
rajunandha
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Guys from one betta, take girl from another betta and try to know our vast community and hatties. In fact, I do not know many hatties in Niligiris. Don't be confined to yourself. For sure, we don't get all these type of things...

Occasional poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hello everybody,
as a starter of the subject, i should have clarified this very early, but unfortunately i was not able to. and read the other posts only now. so deciding to throw light on the subject as far as my knowledge goes.
Firstly, "more" is a badaga word and not the english word. My mistake to have assumend that everyone understand if i put it in quotes.
It is the custom or should i say a practice, we follow during or before our weddings. it is to see that the person we are getting married to is from a village which is not of our brethren villages. This practice is followed since it is believed that the 4 bettas belong to 4brothers and hence the brethren villages. The other reason is what they say, "battullu achule"(hope all badagas understand the words literrally atleast).
As one of you mentioned how are we to know about all the villages(though i personally do know to some extent)
but my question is, icon_question.gif
It is understood that you cant marry your brother/sister. but someone we havent seen in our life before and should be considered to be a brother/sister. Should this be still followed? icon_question.gif
I am nothing against our customs, and as i mentioned this not just another youth tantrum( if any of you think)
it is a question in my mind and i wanted to know your opinions(personal, and what the society would say) on it.
i hope more people participate in the poll and post your opinions.
Thank you.
anithagkl
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

people should avoid weddings inside relations.

Last edited by anithagkl on Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:42 am; edited 2 times in total
senthil_bhojan
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi kausalya,
lately i read ur post.i wanted to share my view.the custom of "mora"followed in our community is something we have to welcome.our great grandparents were very brilliant (that's what i would call them).though they did not know about science much then ,the customs they had formed and followed is way beyond we could have expected of them.MORA it gives us a clear explanation ,we should not marry brothers and sisters,dont u think.though they did not know about its effects they followed it as a strict rule.
but as u say the marriage between firstcousins should be avoided .but in todays generation no one is forced to do so.it is each individuals wish.the older generation does not have a say in it,unless the boy or girl wishes the same.even illitrate people are smart these days.but this does not mean we should encourage intercast marriages.personally i am against it.encouraging such acts would only destroy the hard work of our ancestors to build this community.so we have to preserve and cherish our community ,not give in to westernised culture.

mrs.senthil kumar

Starter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

'more' is a custom derived and practised over generations.
It needs to be followed for future generations, if we want to preserve our culture.
Be proud of what you are and say to the world you are unique.
Ask your would be girl friend or boy friend which 'seeme' you belong to.
Kundhe and Ketti are brothers.otherwise marriages to persons of other seemai is ok.Adhikkaris,Lingayats,Aruvas and thorayar have all joined the mainstream badagas. There is diversity and the chances of deseases due closed community marriage is slim

View next topic
View previous topic