Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
Poll
Should we still follow the "more' in our weddings?
yes/no 
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
yes/no 
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

kausalya
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello members and fellow badagas,
This is a quetion lingering in my mind for a long time.
What is the history of "more" followed and why is it so important?
as far as i know they say it is because of the 4 brothers.
but at this point of time is it apt?
we r small community as such, and the "more" system compels many to marry within close relatives and hence nilgiris is one of the worst affected areas in hereditary diseases namely sickle cell aneamia. i've already lost one cousin recently to this curse and another is living with it for some years now.
Has anyone thought about this earlier? why is that we follow customs blindly instead of analysing it to the pesent context.
Please don't take it as another young generation's misconception. I think it is time we give serious thought bout it.
I think if there is a revolution in this system, we might avoid many of the yougsters from finding thier life partner outside the community.
And that way, we can preserve our culture and language.
I've raised this issue after a long thought and hope to get your pinions on this.
sivaraj
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Can you just brief whats it - "more" ?. I really could'nt recognize the custom which you were talking about . If u give a short explanation on it I can give my ideas and cast my poll ,also many more who do not know what it is will be able understand.
ootyram
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hai Friends

Can you give the details of the morai what we are following in our cast.

regards
Ram icon_lol.gif
bellielic
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

kausalya wrote:
Hello members and fellow badagas,
This is a quetion lingering in my mind for a long time.
What is the history of "more" followed and why is it so important?
as far as i know they say it is because of the 4 brothers.
but at this point of time is it apt?
we r small community as such, and the "more" system compels many to marry within close relatives and hence nilgiris is one of the worst affected areas in hereditary diseases namely sickle cell aneamia. i've already lost one cousin recently to this curse and another is living with it for some years now.
Has anyone thought about this earlier? why is that we follow customs blindly instead of analysing it to the pesent context.
Please don't take it as another young generation's misconception. I think it is time we give serious thought bout it.
I think if there is a revolution in this system, we might avoid many of the yougsters from finding thier life partner outside the community.
And that way, we can preserve our culture and language.
I've raised this issue after a long thought and hope to get your pinions on this.

'More' is known to be, when an alliance is considered, th bride and brdgroom should not be in the brother - sister 'more'.
It can be considered when close relatives and neighbourig villages(mostly neighbouring villagers will be in brothers 'more' are take into account for the marriage alliance.
For example, my native village, Ketti(comprised of 14 hatties) people are brothers. There may be some Natta Makka(Migrants from other villages), whom we can consider for allaiance.
But from distant villages like Kundha Seeme people are brothers 'more to Ketti people. This was because of the old brothers settled in different places centuries back.
But now it is not possible to follow the more between these two seemes.
Already a good number of marriages took place between these tow seemes.
This 'more' can be liberalised for the distant villages.
This is my humble opinion

View next topic
View previous topic