Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
Poll
Who is/was lived Excellently ?
Our Forefathers. 
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Modern Day Qualified Individuals 
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

deva_mathan
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We have written and read more about modern day and development in the 21st Century and our fellow brothern have moved far and wide in the globe.

Given the abysmally low level of education and illtracy about 5 centuries back , one would wonder what kind of life our beloved Hettais & Ayyas lived. To me, it appears they were far superior than what we are today in several aspects sans academic excellence and communication skills and means of modern day comforts, tools and tackles.

Looking back the way our forefather's lived, and said words few things comes to my mind. Other than sayings [ Slokas ] PL READ SOME SAYINGS QUOTED by contributor, Wg Cmdr BeJayPe , [ more will follow shortly] some of them in par with ever green and wisest thirukural

Our fore fathers had following :

1. They took all advantage of Mother nature for healthy living
2 They had excellent Civic sense
3. They were great Civil Engineers [ architects ]
4. They were hard workers.

Taking Advantage of Mother Nature

Being in Nilgiri [ Hill area ] naturally there were no plains or large flat area for houses. The topology of Nilgiri have undulations.

a] The HATTIES were ' planned in with Hattu [ Uttu?!] Neeru Bubbo Side ; That goes with " civilisation in the banks of river" . By this they have ensured water source [the essential manna from heaven] is available for over 5 Centuries; may be still more centuries to go.

b] The Houses were constructed with "HOTTHU BAPPO / BUVO SIDE" facing East/West mostly . By this they have ensured, sufficient natural light from morning to evening [ in the days where no electricity was there, Given the fact that Nilgiri Hydal Power projects were planned early 1960s.

c] By default all are Row houses [ exceptions are not examples ], This ensured 2 things . 1 Cost of one side wall is eliminated [ Economic Prudence [ Financial Acumen ] ] 2. Safety and security without iron grills and compound walls .i.e. Poor access ways for thieves [ barring end of the row houses ].

d] Excellent Drainage Systems [ The Hidden Civil Engineer ] . There were no history of water logging in Badaga Hatties. All waters waste & rain both were designed to drain with well meant sized canals which are laid with big stones and less cement. One should see Chennai & Coimbatore during rainy season even in the modern days wading thro water loggings and sweage water mixing with storm water . to realize this civil engineering marvel brain of our forefathers . God might have taken special time creating Badga brains [ Are we loosing them now ?]

e] AGRICULTURE & ORGANIC FARMING and nutritional food .

We know the old saying " Maneya Kurugi Kattu - Bandava, Badukka Doddsu " i.e Make small house and enlarge property & Cattle heads.

Cattle breeding and farming were primary sources of life for over 5 centuries. They ate nutritional and fibre rich foods like wheat, ragi, Corn, and , [ Ganje, Godume, Erigi, Batha, Jolu, Kalle Keerai soppu, Metthai soppu etc..etc ]. ALL of these foods were in the gardens were with Cow dung , Urine [ may be human excretions also] 100% Organic Manure] and rain water . Are we hearing the word ORGANIC FARMING in the last couple of years only?. They took good quantum of Milk, Curd and Butter Milk. [ Read the modern day health advisors about organic & fibre foods in America & Europe ]

f] As a hygenic needs they went little away at open areas. Well, that morning walk gave them additional physical fitness added to work at Hola & Thotta.

[ Do most of us [ atleast those who have registerd ] have Mixie, Fridge, Education Salary, Audio, Video and ALSO say we have tension, and sleeplessness ?] ... Oops!

g] They mourned with the family of dead members, by not going to the field and collectively organising the ceremonies. The Habba celebrations were also in large scale participation.

h] . There were no Old age Homes.

Inheriting such scientifically valid culture of over 5 centuries, it is time we look back and forth. Are we travelling in the wrong road after acquiring so much [ Book] knowledge ?.

Any one would like to research on this subject ?

Aiyo ! Dosi baravane Munde Mande Iradara [ What an health condition?]. Iduna Odavakka Ena endaravo ?!?

Pl participate in this debate !

Cheers!

Cheers!

gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Anna,
My vote is again 100%. Idhuna pathi dhosi baravane munde mande ningaga iriyakku aale engaga mande iriya. Dhara aena endhale aena. Nanga baravadhu ollithugagi tha. just ondhu mooru hour kulludhu ondhu bitti cinema va nodi mande iravadhuga badhila neraiya olliya joli odhi adhanendha mande iravadhu ondhu thappilley.
Definitely I approve that our Aiyas and Hettais were more brilliant than us in all aspects. But people might argue that we the present dwellers are more innovative. Ofcourse, we are more innovative but it all leads to hatred and pain and against Mother Nature.
Today we could see a lot of advancement in Science, Economics and in all aspects in our Badaga community but still then are we Happy is the question that has to be answered today.
Let the debate continue............

Gopenath.

Schnittsphanstrasse 3,
64287 Darmstadt, Germany.
deva_mathan
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Brother Gopenath,

Thanks again. That badaga sentence was used in lighter vein. Any way you put addendum in a better manner. That's the nicest way of thinking.

Dr Robert Ian Seymour, in his book- Maximise your potential says most humans think alike. Your reply proves that and I am happy about it.

Well, let us see, how many will benefit and gain knowledge and spread wiser thinking for the betterment of badagas' thro this website and to one and all.

Well, by the way, on what subject are you doing your doctoral studies.

I was told another Badaga, from 'Soregundu' hatti is also in German for doctoral studies - possibly in Chemistry.

Wish you all very best and divine blessings for successful completion of Research work.

Cheers!

gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Anna,
Thank you for your reply. And about me.... I am from Godalatty, I think you might have seen my profile. And well, my Ph.D is in the field of Biotechnology, to be more precise, the field is DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY AND NEUROGENETICS. Still more precise, the topic is ROLE OF ACETYL CHOLINE ESTERASE (AN IMPORTNT NEUROTRANSMITTER) IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF RETINA IN CHICK EMBRYO. The degeneration of this neurotransmitter in Humans leads to a number of neurological disorders. Since there is no permission to work on Human embryos, we are trying to depict its role in chick embryo. The structure and function of these neurotransmitters is nearly the same in all vertebrates.

But I dont think it would be a useful topic for the society for the time being. I dont feel ashamed to say that the present day´s Research is nothing. I dont feel that we are finding something which has never been discovered at all. Its a long thread of work which ever field it is that we join a particular point of the thread, travel and pull the thread upto a certain distance and leave for the next person to continue and we quit with a degree of DOCTOR which according to me is nothing unless the work is beneficial to the Society.

Thats why I support your topic that our Aiyas and Hettais were more brilliant than us because they dint do any research or they were not Ph.Ds but they had the Heart to help others and share their love with others and cried for others when others were in worry.

But today fetching a Doctorate Degree might give a lot of pleasure for the self which is of no use. Again we are in the search of Peace and happiness which could not be obtained from the materialistic world but only from Mother Nature. Its only the Love and Service for others makes us completely Happy and make this Life a fulfilled one.

Let the debate continue.........

Yours
Gopenath.

Schnittsphanstrasse 3,
64287 Darmstadt, Germany.

View next topic
View previous topic