Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Dear one and all,

It was nice to see the preparation of SANDAGAI, THUPPADHITTU and a few items which are the famous Badaga Recipes. I would be happy if any one could give the Recipe of HACHIKKAI. I almost forgot the preparation. I doubt whether nowadays we make this. I am sure that our modern children will not know about the word and the recipe as well. I really miss HACHIKKAI.

With Love
Gopenath.

Schnittsphanstrasse 3,
64287 Darmstadt, Germany.
anithagkl
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hacchikai.
To make Hacchikai, first we have to make ‘Baathi akki’ from the batha. Nowadays we rarely get batha, but some houses still store batha for use for new mothers (post-natal) to prepare ganji. Some vendors from Mysore, etc also sell new batha in hatties .

Take the cleaned Batta (4-5kgs) in a vessel with enough water (water should just cover the grains). Bring to boil for not more than 5 minutes; otherwise the batha will become soggy. Strain immediately and dry in the sun. When dry, pound in an ‘oralu’ or give it to grinding or pounding machines to split the grains. Baathi akki is ready. Can be stored to prepare Hacchikai anytime.

Hacchikai .
Serves 3-4.
Baathi akki - 2 cups.
Cool boiled water – 2-3 cups.
Grated coconut – 1-2 cups.
Sugar and salt (a pinch) to taste.

Soak the Baathi akki in cool boiled water for 1 – 2 hours. (Hot water will make it soggy). Strain excess water. Add sugar, salt and coconut and mix. Hacchikai ready!

Ganji
Serves 3-4
Baathi akki – 2 cups
Water – 6-7 cups
Jaggery-1cup (or as sweet you want it)
Salt – a pinch.
Ghee as required.

Take Baathi akki in a cooker along with water, add salt. Cook as you cook rice, till very soft. In another pan boil the jaggery along with little water and strain. Add the jaggery to the cooked baathi akki and cook over a low flame till it thickens. Add ghee and serve hot.
You can also add a little cardamom powder, and fried cashews and resins for garnishing.

View next topic
View previous topic