Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dr.M.Halayya

There are many, among the Badagas, who have done so much in their chosen field of interest, to contribute to the larger public, not only confined to just Badagas or India, but to the whole world.

While a very few have succeeded , there are many ‘unsung, unwept heros’ whose path breaking and refreshing ideas have remained as unfulfilled dreams.

One such person was Dr. Hallyya ( Hala Iyya - a not so very common name among Badagas) about whom I have mentioned in “FIRST BADAGA”.

He has written many books that have been published and quoted in academic circles.

I had the honour of knowing Dr.Halayya personally and after learning about his ‘book’ ' OOTY - THE QUEEN OF HILL STATIONS (A BRITISH CREATION) ' which was in a manuscript form when he discussed about the book with me, and the one which he wanted to be published by a reputed publishing house. When we met before his untimely death, I insisted that he should buy a pc so that he did not have to depend on a typist/DTP operator, to put his work to be seen by the would be publishers. He was very keen on a pc and knowing my interest in pc [I do assemble pcs as a hobby and do a lot of Beta testing of SOFTWARE] he would consult me about what he should buy.

Unfortunately, fate or rather destiny had different ideas, and he passed away before his dreams could be fulfilled.

However, he did send his manuscript of a book on OOTY to me while we were at New Delhi (I lived there for twenty years and still own a house there) with the request that we discussed the matter with the publishers [“PENGUIN”].

Along with my wife Tara , I visited the the publishers, but after going through the manuscript the concerned person informed me that ‘ though a lot of research has been done in producing this beautiful book, we are not in a position to publish the same due to, what we consider commercial aspects, as the book is research oriented and hence commercially may not be viable’.

I know Dr.Halayya was very disappointed and disheartened. But I was keen on finding some other publisher and requested him to send me a synopsis. I am in possession of that and would like to share it with you all before, hoping to publish the book (if the family members of Dr. Halayya are willing) as part of ARI GOWDER MEMORIAL TRUST to be launched soon.

I will be adding the ‘contents’ of the book soon in these columns.

View next topic
View previous topic