Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One of the very happy ‘happening’ things is that many young badagas have some fantastic badaga songs streaming out of their weblogs. One of them is hosted by an young software engineer PRADEEP [based at Bangalore]. The songs in WMA (that can be played by Windows Media Player) extension are very clear and of very good sound quality.

Pradeep

The songs about HETHAI are a sheer pleasure to listen.

The link is http://www.esnips.com/web/BadagaSongs

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kerben Bella Gowder

Over a period of time, I have listened to a lot of Badaga singers [some were as good as professionals] but the best in my opinion is KERBEN BELLA GOWDER who had a golden voice. I met him for the first time all most three decades ago. He could play harmonium, bull bull tara or ‘thambutte’ [drum] with equal elan, His greatest ability was to compose and render songs on the spot, some times suitably changing the verses to suit the occassion.

He was a much sought after singer in any function be it a wedding, savu or anniversary. Just with a couple of his collegues accompaning on the thambutte [mathalam] and jalra [cymbals], he would sing while playing the harmonium. Sadly, no songs were recorded in any studio.

Late Bella Gowder

His savu [sad] songs would bring tears streaming down even from the hardest of hearts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another, great contribution of Bella Gowder is his rendering of many Badaga Ballads - the best being ” BERADA BELLIE “

I had the great fortune of recording [on a tape recorder] some of his songs when he had visited my home at Hubbathalai on a few occassions. Luckily I could trace them recently.

It is with a great sense of honour and as a tribute to this great singer I have uploaded some of his BERADA BELLIE songs on the net so that all can listen to his golden voice.

I bow my head in dedication to Kerben Bella Gowder who passed away a few years back.

Listen to his songs in my site www.badaga.in (the music widget is at the right top corner where you can choose the song) or here

Bella Gowder’s songs in CDs & Cassettes can be purchased from RAJ MUSICALS, Sampoorna Complex, Kothagiri ( Phone ; 04266 2772280)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kothagiri (Kuruda) Kada

Another great singer of yester years is Kada from Kothagiri. He was blind but was very very spontaneous and could keep the audience spell bound.

I had known him personally and he was a great human being with a huge sense of humour. He had a great VISION of the future though without having physical vision.

It is once again my honour to upload some of his songs from my private collection - recorded on tape - and these songs are dedicated to him.

Listen to Kada’s songs here

Some times I feel we are very insensitive to others’ feelings. We call them Nondi Rama, Kividi Sevani & Kurudu Kada etc.

More than the individual’s disability, it is our disability to understand their different ability that is truly deplorable!!

The voice quality may not be good due to the original recording having been done on a tape recorder.

Read the complete article with photos at www.badaga.in which will be redirected to > http://badaga-songs.blogspot.com

Last edited by bjaypee on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:46 am; edited 7 times in total
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I received an email from Senthil, Melur in the form of a comment regarding Badaga Songs on the web ( see above and in my weblog www.badaga.in),
Quote:
"Wg Cdr JP, If you are face-to-face with the owners of this copyrighted music how would you explain? If you help a thief you are nothing but a thief yourself. Sorry, but see both sides of the coin. I'm concerned because my relative produced the songs -

Senthil, Melur "
No details were given. I could not make out which are the songs he is referring to and also whether he is talking about Pradeep or Priyaraghava who have hosted Badaga songs, about whom I have mentioned in my posts .

Though, he had not given his email id while posting the comment, I assumed that it was the same Melur Senthil who is a member of this website.

I sent an email to melursenthil [ to the email id availabe in the members details], asking for clarification. But no response so far.

I personaly feel people like PRIYARAGHAVA & PRADEEP are doing a sort of 'social' service by making us aware of these badaga songs which can be listened on line. I receive a lot of enthusiastic response on this subject, from a lot of youngsters living away from the Nilgiris and are thrilled to see/listen to these badaga songs.

A request to "MELUR SENTHIL" who sent me the email. Please give your email id and give complete details like your relative who produced the songs - btw(by the way),which songs are you talking about? Why don't you tell us from where these CD/Cassette can be purchased - so that the same info can be made public? I understand your agony, due to your commercial intrests, but please avoid using words like 'thief'.

Whether it is moral, ethical, commercial or economical to do so.....well, let the readers decide.

Last edited by bjaypee on Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:34 pm; edited 4 times in total
gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear BJP Anna,
This is really shocking to see a brother concern using words without a second thought. If he was hurt with the songs in the web he could have just requested not to add any songs. But I do not understand why there is so much of agony in this. More over I find that no newly released songs are added immediately in the web.
The songs that were uploaded by Hari and Priraghava are atleast two or three years old. Its normal, that a bit old songs could be uploaded in the web. I think this would not affect the producers commercially.
Moreover, if they think it would definitely affect them commercially, then some arrangements could be done in such a manner that we could pay for the songs through net. People in India could manage to purchase the cassettes but people away cannot do anything.
And if this Senthil who has given the email is from Melur, I could not imagine how such a social concerned person could come out with agony. Any way might be as you said he is concerned about his relatives.
Lets not make this a big issue which may come out with other irrelevant discussions.
I request dear Senthil to be kind enough and give a second thought for words. I also request BJP Anna to just take it easy and lets go on with our good deeds. I am not so eligible to suggest but I put here my request.

With Love
Gopenath.
deva_mathan
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Did wg Cmdr helped a "thief" ? And helper is a thief ! The proverb could be fine only at appropriate place.

By making any "stolen" item available on the web, it is becoming public but not a private one as a thief would do. So no one is a thief.

Brother Senthil, I hope the words come at height of anxiety.

In badagu, we have " Kaadu Kopa Bappane, Thade Kondame Jana -That is - when the anger is suppressed we become humans.

Anger is just a letter away from [d]anger .

Mind looses it balance in extreme anger []and in extreme love.]

Pl remember all the fights / quarrels / wars / murders/ in this world are because of someone said some words .

I appeal everyone to use their teeth to gaurd the toungue -- Should I say pen / computer in place of tongue ?

The arrow released from bow -
The fruits plucked from tree -
The milk from udder of cow -
The words released from toungue-
these cannot be reversed.

I wish writers use practical words in this common forum, and restrain themselves and for heaven sake pl donot attack

Cheers!

Last edited by deva_mathan on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Let's get going to the next topic.
nramesh
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear all,
Few days back, i had chance to meet one of our badaga friend who is professionally a singer, and has sung couple of songs in Tamil movie, which is anticipated to release this may.
During conversation, i came to know, he has released few Badaga Casettes, which have created new revolution in badaga musical world.
The sad part is, as a producer, he is very much concerned about the pyrated CD's, because of which he has suffered a huge loss. This loss has happened all time he released.
Being a very small community, we guys should first understand how difficult is to produce and release a Badaga Casette, and must appreciate their work by purchasing a CD or casette and not by renting it or by making pyrated copies.
He has come up with a request, why not the newly released songs be published on Badaga Web site as like other songs, and be sold through web sites?
Personally i felt this is a brilliant suggestion, and why shouldn't we guys extend our support by creating such facilities through this Badaga web site? There are lots of such websites(eg, raaga.com, music.yahoo.com), which sell the songs online.
I believe, songs are the only source which pass the real Badaga words and its meanings to the next generation. Let us not let it die.

Please post in your suggestions.

---------------------------------
Thanks,
Ramesh N
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

With regard to Ramesh's post about selling the songs on the net, I am not too sure how the economics and commerce work out and the type of agreement one has to sign with the websites suggested.

But here is an offer from my side. IF THE BADAGA SONGS ARE GOOD and ACCEPTABLE then, I can pay a royalty to host the songs on my websites like www.badaga.in / http://badaga.wordpress.com

I am also on the lookout for some singers who can 'reproduce' the old type of badaga songs - ballads and savu types. The Ari Gowder Memorial Trust will bear all the expenses and the singers will be suitably compensated.

I can be contacted at bjaypee@gmail.com

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thangaadu L.Krishnan, another great singer

I have heard a lot about Thangaadu L.Krishnan, probably a contemporary of Kerban Bella Gowder, but only now had the opportunity to listen to his songs, courtesy Priyaraghava of Eddakkaadu. To say the least, the voice of L.Krishnan, is very unique and the more you listen to his songs, the more you want to listen. Simply great.

One of the songs from the album, is “Kundha Paala Roadu dhoge”…the original Badaga atta song. I remember listening to this dance number fifty years back, a song which was a must in any habba. Old timers will remember this song being referred to as ‘ Baby powder’a bekku endhagha, Bella na hennu en Janagi, Akka akka huttidha awai, ondhu jolia heghine baali’.

An album containing songs of L.Krishnan can be accessed here Badaga Songs on the Web

The best song, as per my choice, is ‘Kanjikke Kukkiya’

I will be grateful to any reader who can provide more info on Thanagaadu L.Krishnan [including photos] and his songs so that we can immortalise his songs like that of Kerban Bella Gowder.

I can be contacted at bjaypee@gmail.com

View next topic
View previous topic