Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
rvinothkumar
Starter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi all,

As far as I understand, our forefathers have migrated from mysore long ago and badaga community was formed. I was surprised to see the following article in wikipedia about badagas and their origin. There is a mention about european connection. I am wondering how this got in here. Any ideas?!!!!!!

Origin of the Badagas

The badagas have been considered to be of dravidian origin due to the fact that the language spoken is Dravidian but it is also disputed that their customs, cultural aspects are distinct and not closely related to other Ethnic Groups hence their origins are in debate.

Natives of the Nilgiris

Of late the theory put forth by leading scholars have strongly criticised the migration theory and have said that the badagas are natives of the Nilgiris. Philology states that in the beginning languages existed without scripts and only later scripts were developed. Hence this seems to be a justification that the badagas were completely an indegenous people due to the absence in their script, but an ancient indegenous group would have a higher population or would have been completely extinct which questions the validity of this theory.With regard to religion, prior to converting to Hinduism the badagas were nature worshippers, even today worship stones with nature being a central theme can be found in the Nilgiris, Nature worship suggests that the badagas like the ancient Greeks and the Egyptians were an ancient ethnic group.

The European Connection

Others state that the badagas have migrated from Central/East Europe. It is justified that the Badaga ethnic group from Central/East Europe for survival had to accept the local language after migration to southern India and then to the Nilgiri Hills (the nilgiris then belonged to the Vijayanagara Empire), hence the dialect of Kannada. The badagas hence adopted the language for verbal communication and did not accept the Script as it was Foreign to them. The date of the second migration from present Karnataka is probably said to be around 1500 AD - 1600 AD. The population vs time graph indicates that the original badagas were just a handful of about 15 - 30 persons. However the European migration theory has no credible evidence but still under debate.

Genomic Studies i.e a Y-chromosome DNA marker test on the badagas have resulted in the badagas belonging to the broader R1a and specifically R1a1 Haplogroup. A good percentage of people in Central Europe,East Europe,Scandinavia and the people of Punjab also belong to this R1a1 Haplogroup. Hence this has been suggestive of the fact that the badagas are of an Eurasian origin.

The other Ethnic group from southern India which belongs to the R1a1 haplogroup are the Kodava whose customs and cultural aspects for centuries have been said to be related to the Badagas.

gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Vinoth,
I am new to our badaga.org. I am Gopenath from Godalatty. I dint know why no one replied for your question for such a long time as there was a huge discussion regarding this fact. But as far as i am concerned, its true that badagas have migrated from Europe. And to add, not only Badagas but most populations have migrated from Europe.
It has been proved that Man originated in Africa and started moving hither and thither and one part stayed back at Africa our original ancestors and another part migrated towards Europe, our migrated ancestors. So there is no wonder in the fact that we Badagas are from Europe.

Schnittsphanstrasse 3,
64287 Darmstadt, Germany.

View next topic
View previous topic