Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
nksmeena
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It would be interesting to list all the traditional Badaga names. This should be a good way to preserve a part of our culture if we start naming our future generations with traditional Badaga names.

My little List:

Male : Joghi, Kaari, Halan, Puttiah, Nanjiah

Female : Mitchi, Maadhi, Siniki, Haali
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It appears our friend 'nksmeena' has missed out reading the thread ; Badaga Names [Badugaru hesaru].. How can we preserve them?
http://www.badaga.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=542

bjaypee wrote:
' What is in a name, a rose smells the same by any other name' so said a great poet. But is it so ? In the context of preserving the culture of a community, the names given to both persons and places can play a very crucial part.

In our history of many thousand years, naming of places was generaly and literaly linked to NATURE. Be it on names given to villages like 'Bikka Mora Hatti [Olive Tree Village]' or 'Hubbathale [Chinese Pagoda tree]' or 'Osa Hatti [New Village]'. Badagas had [ I am very sad to use 'past tense' here] a great tradition of naming their children after thei[r ancesters, usually a deceased grand parent. By this they not only ensured that the dead are constantly remembered but also to differentiate Badaga as an unique entity as a tribe with their own traditions and customs.

Jayaprakash, Sabbarish, Yudhister, Abhishek, Parmesh, Ramesh, Satish, Vivek, Vinodh Bhuvanesh or Shalini, Shakila, Sudhalini, Nivideta, Kaushalya etc are, hold your breadth, names of the so called modern(?) Badaga men and women. They could be from any part of our country. Contrast these with Bellie, Jogi, Kada, Hala, Sevana, Jevana, Moracha, Nandhi, Ari, Boja, Bella, Ajja, Madha or Kangi, Nanji, Madhi, Kade, Masi, Dhali. Straight away, these names not only point to Badagas but also bring to memory of our great ancestors

I have always wondered why being from a 'STAUNCH BADAGA'fied family I was named Jayaprakash. My mom who is 96 years old now, tells me that when I was to be named in 1948, a much elder cousin who was both a bully and the first of his generation, insisted on this name because he was a follwer of Jayaprakash Narain. Of course, the consolation is that in our generation (one earlier to the present one) everbody was compulsorily given a Badaga name also. For example, my Badaga name is JEVANA. Unfortunately, while registering the name for joining the school, the Badaga name was not included and hence Jayaprakash -and the short form of JP -got stuck. In one of those ironies of fate, when I had to give the [ initals expanded] name to join the Indian Air Force as a commissioned officer, my father's name Bellie became my first name and since we do not have a family name common to all brothers and sisters, Bellie is how I am known as these days and yes, I am quite happy about it.

If we continue to name our children as we do now by following the blind and bad advise of some 'IYER' who advises that the name has to start with X or Y, we can surely and sadly bury one of our best traditions of NAMING our children only with Badaga names and thus preserving and protecting our culture and KULA (clan).

The least we can do is, while naming the new born babies, ensure that a Badaga name is also given and that Badaga name is definitely included in the school records as well as for other important requirements like voter ID, passport etc .

On a personal note on our part we (my wife & I) have ensured that our children's names include Badaga names ARI & NANJI [Rao Bahadur Ari Gowda was great grandfather to my son from my wife's side and Rao Bahadur Bellie Gowda's wife Nanji was great grandmother to my daughter from my side] along with their other names which were chosen by the 'modernites' in which I had no say (sob sob).

As a first step, may I request the readers to list out all the old, original and exclusive Badaga names (both male and female) and give a serious thought to this serious problem. The names of all GODS/GODDESS is not considered original / traditional.

Some names that come to my mind :

Male names :

Ari, Ajja, B(h)oja, Bellie, Bela(Mada), Bella, B(h)eema, Bidia, Bulla, Dona, Gedda, Gujja, Hala, Hiriya, Jevana, Jogi, Kada, Kakkamalla, Kariabetta, Kalla, Kari, Kulla, Linga, Madha, Madiya, Moracha, Nandi, Nanja, Pada, Pokka, Raju, Ranga, Sevana, Sele, Thatha, Thippa,

Female names :

Beeki, Bulli, Chenne, Chinna, Doni, D(h)ali, Gange, Gangamma, Gauri, Giriji, Hali, Hallamma, Hui, Jevani, Kade, Kangi, Lingi, Madi, Masi, Nanji, Panne, Paru, Rukki, Sevani, Sing(a)ri,

Also see the page in http://badaga.wordpress.com

Last edited by bjaypee on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
l_santhosh
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Three names from 'nksmeena' seem to be new ones.
Male: Puttiah
Female: Mitchi, Siniki

Mitchi and Siniki sound really good!!
I seem to be mumbling those names again and again!! icon_lol.gif
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

SINIKKI is immortalized in our ballads :

" Oh Sinikki, Oh Ponikki
Hakkilu Kaappa Koosa
HaLLa enthindhu hora
Awway saare hegile
Mande maara sachiya
Appa saare hegile
Kanna neera haakina..
Oh Sinikki , Oh Ponikki
"

Starter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

icon_smile.gif I stand by you ,when you say that a traditional badaga name should be associated.The name Siniki brings a lot of freshness and cheer in me,by gods grace if my wife and i have a girl child i decide to name her Siniki Joghee(Courtesy Badaga.org), my iyyas name is Joghee and no matter what i name my kids, its for sure that the last name is going to be Joghee or Bheeman(my dads name)...

View next topic
View previous topic