Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
melursenthil
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear All,

It pains me that I should be writing about this subject and that we should be talking about this issue.

On the 2nd of May 2007, I happened to visit the Home for the Challenged and Old Aged people near Nanjanad and was shocked to find a Badaga Etthai there in the home.

On meeting me, she poured her heart out and cried like a baby, with a lot of hurt. She is aged about 75, physically fit and mentally agile. She is in the home for the past one week.

Her name is Tipeeamma from ACHANAKAL and has seven children, Shankar, Jagadish, Ajjan, Bellie, Dharma Seetha and Gowri. but none of them want to take care of her. She has a very small property and has worked hard to see that her children are educated and all of them are prosperous. She says that one of her grand children is in London. When she had been to visit a grand daughter at Nanjanad, she has been bitten and sent away. ( this fact was verified by the old aged home authorities).
Her children have beat her and have been torturing her.

The home authorities cannot keep her for long, since she does not have a certificate from the Village Officer of Achanakal stating either that she has no one to look after her or that her children are not willing to look after her. At the present moment, the Nanjanad village people have given a certificate which is not valid legally and the home authorities want something to be done as they cannot keep her there legally without the certificate.

All that Tippeamma is requesting is a small room at her house in Achanakal and a cot so that she can spend the rest of her life.

Please help her and we should be able to find a solution to this.

All of us can join to do something good to her.

You can reach me at 94422 94492.

Regards

R. Senthil kumar

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Senthil,

Pleasure talking to you.

As discussed, this matter must be taken with the Gowda's of Achanakal hatty in the first place. At all times, we must first follow the local law of the land and then contemplate the next level.

It is a shame on us if we leave her the way she is. People need a voice, they need to be heard. My full fledged support to you, will follow up this issue closely.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
bellielic
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Senthil,
As a Native of Achanakal village, I shocked about the matter which you given here.
What Mr.Hari told is correct, the matter has to be taken to Gowdas of Achanakal.
As a part of this and as a native of Achanakal, I talked immidiately to our Village Gowdas, Occationally they assembled in one place for a Temple collection, about this matter.
As I am staying in Coimbatore, I do not know about this matter in full detail.
But to the best of my knowledge, the mistake is with this Thippeyamma, as the sons are verymuch eager to look after her, but her charecter is not supporting them.
Their problem is taking place for the last 15 years or so.

Anyhow I discussed this matter with our Village Gowdas, and they told that they took a number of efforts to solve this problem.
Whenever they found a solution, and make her to stay with one of her sons, she would stay one or two weeks only there, and will go away from not only home but from Achanakal itself.
What she told about beaten by her sons or Grand Children is not correct, told by our Gowdas.
No grandson is in London, but two of her grandsons are in Chennai.

But, I told our Gowdas to take appropriate action to solve this problem.

I request you (Senthil) to do needful to give her proper Councelling by a eligible Counciller, to change her attitude.
Obsolutely , I admitt that it is a shame for our village.

For further actions kindly contact our Achanakal Gowda Mr B Nanthi through his mobile : 94436 04570.
My contact No: 93631 01042. e-mail :bellielic@hotmail.com.
Let us Hope for the Best.
Thanks to all.

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I assumed that there must be something wrong with Thippeamma, if not, how will a whole village be indifferent on an issue of this intensity? If she was good, there are lots of good people who would have supported her cause and not allowed the issue to escalate.

I hope Thippeamma must be having her husband's home or ancestral home at Achanakal. Till her death, as per badugu norms, the house belongs to her. So, even if her sons do not like, it is her right to enjoy the house. It is they who must move out and find a separate accomodation.

In the event Thippeamma did not own a own a house through her husband (which is quite rare in our community), Iam still sure that the village community could arrange her a makeshift accomodation.

In many of our villages, the government has helped unmarried women, destitutes and single women with one room accomodation, the same could be approached if nothing works out.

However bad she might be, it really pains to see our people being abandoned. It is easy to comment as a stranger to an issue, all said and done, Iam afraid our community is becoming less and less tolerant, which is not a heathy sign.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
melursenthil
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Hari's views. However bad the women might be, she must be given a shelter to stay and live in the house of her husband. I will talk to Bellie and the Achanakal Gowda Nanthi tommorrow since it is late night now when I saw the replies. I thank and appreciate Mr.Bellie for his prompt action.

regards

Senthil

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My sincere appreciations to Mr.Bellie for taking up the subject matter seriously. Kudos!

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
rajunandha
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A sad unhappy happening and great efforts toward solving it. Hats off to you people !

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Its really Happy to hear the gud effort taken by Senthil anna and Mr. Bellie anna for this sensitive issue. It reflects their gud heart . Any how if she is gud or bad in this issue , we should think about her oldage. Even we never forget one proverb ' Aravathu kaidhale are (half ) buddhi ' it may suits her too .. I request Bellie anna to take further action in this issue along with your hatty peoples for her remaining end of such days ..

My sincere appreciattion to both of them ..
bellielic
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear All the good hearts,
Senthil contacted me, and our Village Gowda Nanthi.
Our Achanakal village Gowdas, along with Senthil, went to Nanjanadu Old Age Home and met the Hethai.
They discussed with her in detail.
She refused to returned to Achanakal, and the Sisters of that Old Age Home, told the Gowdas that they do not hve problem to keep her with them.
Thippeammaal lastly asked our Gowdas to arrange her to provide her house to her, and the Gowdas promissed to do so.
That house was given to somebody else(poor one) for lease at present.
I once again contacted out Hatty Gowdas and they told me that they took efforts to solve this problem.
One of her son Ajjan contacted me and promissed me to take efforts to bring her mother to Hatty, with the help of Hatty Gowdas.
One of her Daughter in law(wife of Shankar) promissed the hatty Gowdas to look after her.
I appreciate one and all, who took this matter, as a prestige ussue for our Commuinity, particularly the great effort taken by Senthil.

This kind of matters (our people in old age homes) is of course a setback to our community. When I discussed this matter with the Committe members of our COVAI NAKKUBETTA NALA SANGAM(Coimbatore Badagar Sangam), many of our members told a number of incidents which took place already.
Some of our old people are still living in Old Age Homes in in and around Coimbatore. One or two of them lived a very rich life. I could not gather the full details. I will try to get it.
Let us do somthing to solve this problemof our Community best to our efforts.

We, Covai Badagar Sangam , took efforts to form a strong TRUST with the help of Wellup people in Coimbatore, and of course with the help of you all.
After forming this TRUST, We will inform you all, about the TRUST and it activities, Motives, and By Laws, and name and Details of the Trustees.
We will seek the help from all of you.
We planned this Trust is for Medical Aid to our Poor People, who undergo the exraordinary operations, Education Aid for Students from Poor family, who are studying well, and like that.
Now we can add this Old Age People also to this aid plan.

Your valuable suggestions are welcomed and will be appreciated here. With Kind Regards.

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Bellie Anna,

Pleasure talking to you. As discussed, in the first place, let thippeamma be given the house which is rightly hers. Rest, hopefully, may fall in place.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
melursenthil
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear All,

Thanks for the efforts of each and every one involved in solving this issue and the credits should go to each and every one of them including the village head.

With regards to the effort of Bellie anna towards the formation of a trust with the help of Coimbatore people, I would request him to go through the following thread

http://www.badaga.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31

Instead of forming separate trusts, I would request Bellie anna to go through the entire contents of the above thread and ensure that we work together with IBA to make IBAT a strong trust. When the ideas are noble and are executed with noble people, Miracles happen and we as a strong team of IBA can achieve them

regards

senthil

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Congrats to Mr. Senthil anna and Mr. Bellie anna for your kind initiative and big effort to found a right solution in this issue. My sincere appreciation to coimbatore badaga association , achangal gowda and all hatty peoples those who are involved in the issue. Finally our IBA changed the sad reality into happiest moment now ...

warm Regards

sathish kumar.R
bellielic
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Senthil
As you told I go through the link regarding the proposed Trust.
I agree with your views. One and only one Trust for our whole community is good.
The General Council Meeting of our Covai Nakkubetta Nala Sangam ( Covai Badagar Sangam) will be meeting on 13th of this month, at about 4.30 pm, at Hotel Heritage Inn , Coimbatore.
I will put this matter in the meeting and will get the Suggestions from our members, and top Delegates of Coimbatore, Sri T Gundan, Ex MLA, Sri (Dr) R Bellie, Ex President of Coimbatore Badaga Association, Sri J Ravi, MD of Hotel Heritage Inn, Sri K N Joghan, Chairman, Iyyan Textiles, Sri M Chandran, MD, KNM Textiles, Dr H Raju, H S Hospital, Kavundampalayam,
and other prominent leaders.
Let us Hope for the BEST.
With Regards

View next topic
View previous topic