Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My flaunts with Badugu language were still inadequate to help me uderstand the meaning "MUNGARU" for a long long time.

Visibly upset I was, all this changed when I was pulled by a couple of business friends for the Kannada movie "MUNGARU MALE" on my recent visit to Bangalore. MUNGARU, they said is "DAWN". So, HOSA MUNGARU - A NEW DAWN. Now, folks, dont tell me all of you knew the meaning before!

Our 150 bucks/head black ticket at Sagar Cinema did not let us down, it was my second commercial kannada cinema in 2 years after "JOGI", at 32, still wept like a child lost in a carnival icon_biggrin.gif

Hope, Hosa Mungaru would recreate a similar magic...

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
l_santhosh
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm....that's an interesting info.
I've been asking some Kannadigas what 'MungAru' means. But no one was sure. They kept guessing.
So thanks for that bit of info Hari.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was also not sure about the meaning of ' Hosa Mungaru' but a cousin of mine told me that it means " NEW SPRING".

Hello Manivanna , Co Director of the movie, what exactly is the meaning of 'Hosa Mungaru' ? By the way, is mungaru a Badaga word in the first place?

I am sure there must be an interesting tale behind this name.

Hope, like the name, the movie will also bring (New) 'Happiness

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Logically, "Mungaru" can only be a borrowing from Kannada in the first place for the simple reason our mother tongue in itself is a regenerated form of Kannada ( Somehow don't prefer the word adulterated! ).

I checked with my grandmother about Mungaru (She is the oldest at our hatty at 90), she gave me this version...

Mungaru endhale "Eagey Mey", the Mey just before the "Kodey mey" (Monsoon). In South India, especially Nilgiris and adjoining areas, we are influenced by the south west monsoon originating at the Arabian Sea and flowing through Kerala. We generally have good rains in June, the start of the monsoon. But in the month of May, preceding the monsoon, we experience light showers with a gentle breeze, especially early mornings, which is a very pleasant feeling. These early morning gentle showers are called "Eagey Mey" or Mungaru. (This is applicable mainly to hilly regions, pls note icon_lol.gif )

So, Mungaru is a season and what JP Anna said must be correct, its spring time rain, the month of March/April/May in India.

The beauty of the spring time drizzle it is that starts early morning and ends before 7/8 AM. Probably, thats the reason my friends said it is "DAWN".

But, I see a possible correlation, maybe all below permutations are possible...

1) Dawn - Eary Morning
2) Spring
3) Spring time Rain
4) Early Morning Rain
5) Early Morning Spring Time Rain

All in all, Mungaru must be a wonderful feeling icon_exclaim.gif

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
l_santhosh
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Just to add to that...there is a related word: Hingaru.
I'm told it is the opposite of 'Mungaru', and occurs at the beginning of the North-east/South-east monsoon in Nov./ Dec.
Let's not be surprised if and when there is a film sequel with the name 'Hingaru Maley'. icon_smile.gif
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi Santosh,

Dunno about Hingaru. U sure? Maybe its Fall/Winter Rain!

That must be a wonderful feeling too! icon_biggrin.gif

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I had received the following email (via badaga.com) from the Director of 'Hosa Mungaru'

"Karkalam" tamil meaning is mazhaikalam.So kar means rain.So mungru means before the rainy season.In between the summer season and rainyseason is called spring season.so mungaru means spring season.Hosamungaru means Newspring season. All are expecting for the hosamungaru not in the screen,that should in our badaga community.

B.Manivannan
Director
Hosamungaru

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes Hari...people who I talked to were sure about 'Hingaru'.
The explanation from Director Manivannan seems a fair one.
Kar is rain....MunKar(became MunGar in Kannada) is before rain...PinKar(not heard that in Tamil) (became HinGar) is after rain.
But whether the short period(I presume so) preceding a monsoon can be an entire season(Spring - is it very long?)is debatable.

And then in which theatre can we expect to see HosaMungaru, the film?
icon_smile.gif
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yea, spring and fall (autumn) are supposedly very short seasons, lasting just a couple of months, both of them preceding summer and winter respectively. Nevertheless, they are seasons, no doubt and have their own unique characteristics.

When we go to hatty and see the landscape slowly turning green, in the months of feb/march, its spring time, followed by summer when flowers are in total bloom (The nilgiri flower show is held in april/may).

Then comes autumn, in august/september, we can find a lot of bright red leaves under the "Bikkamora", the leaves withered and shedded before winter (Its a wonderful sight). Autumn is "Ilai udhir kalam" in Tamil. Then comes the drudgery of winter, Dec/Jan, only brown/red soil, no greenery, the landscape is quite dry, just waiting for the NEW SPRING RAIN (MUNGARU) to arrive!

Seasons are beautiful examples of of birth, growth, death, rebirth, regeneration and evolution, something only Nature can explain!

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.

View next topic
View previous topic