Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
vinu_scorpion
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A Software Engineer's feelings.....

It was raining heavily outside. Dark clouds gathered in the sky and nature was in its ominous best. I took a break from my work and went to the pantry to grab a cup of coffee. I had a sip and went near the window to see the rain pouring down heavily outside the glass structure. I was inside our huge office building, unruffled by even the fierceness of the nature. Through the heavy transparent glass, I could see a small girl trying to hold on to her umbrella which the wind was snatching away from her. I felt sorry for the girl, and was happy that I was not in a similar pathetic situation. Yes. I take pride for the fact that I am a software engineer.

I have everything which a common man would envy; money, status, respect, you name it I have it. I always wanted to be software professional and here Iam, working for one of the best firms in the world. But then, am I really happy? Now, I could see an imprint of my palm on the other glass window, through which I reminisced my past, basked in the warmth of the sun shine.

My childhood was so much of fun. I vividly remember those rainy days, when I hugged my mother tightly during sleeping listening to all the stories told by her. Now, I have a big house here, but then it is just a house, not a home. My parents are pretty far away from me now. I have a cell phone to talk to them everyday, but then I really miss those dinners which I had with my family everyday. I could easily afford to taste all the different cuisines these days, but the best of food there, lack the love and affection which is present in the food prepared by my mother.

I threw a lavish party for my colleagues for my birthday, but then they would never replace the birthdays when my friends secretly brought a cake and at the end, half of the cake would have ended up on my face. The couple of hundred bucks that u save for a long period just to give a treat to your friends in the road side chat shop can never give the pleasure even after spending a few thousand bucks these days.

The scene of me crying and refusing to have dinner on the day when I fought with my best friend came to my mind. Today, she has gone far away from me, taking away my love and with it my life, but I am sitting and coding here with a false smile on my face. Everyday I meet new people, but then I long ceased to make a new friend.

It's true that I have a lot of things now. I have a nice bed, but no time to sleep. Lots of money, but no friends to spend it with. The latest designer clothes, but a worn out body. Quite a few to flirt, but no one to love. Awards for technical excellence, but no reward for the crave for peaceful ambience. A confident demeanor, but a reluctant and apathetic mind. Full of rain, but no sunshine even in the farthest distance.

Now, I could see the small girl on the road enjoying in the rain with her umbrella firmly in her grip. She might not have all the comforts which I have, but then she has the innocence and fun which I lost a long time back. I have decided to come out of this false fantasy, even if it is at the expense of losing the tap of the software engineer. I am going to again enjoy my life. I am going to go out in the rain and play with the small kid now. I removed my tie, and went near my computer to shut it down.

Just then, I saw a new mail alert in my mail box. I slowly opened outlook and I found a message from my manager with an attachment saying that there was a critical defect in the code and I have to fix it soon. I convinced myself that I am not going to get bogged down again by these pressures and stick to my decision. I ignored the mail and went to the rest room. After a couple of minutes, the software engineer in me came out, his shirt tucked in with the perfect tie knot, sat before the computer, and started typing, XYZ....

I am looking into the defect and will send the patch files before EOD.

Regards,
Software Engineer.
vinu_scorpion
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Great Indian Software Industry Show

A quarter of a cabin, with a personal computer, a ergonomically designed furniture which includes a revolving chair,a table with a cupboard (meant to keep documents in properly arranged fashion), no life and height of boredom, not exactly cubicle in shape is how i would describe my office cubicle. Sitting there i realize how a young, bubbly soul turns gradually into a jombie. A nerdy creature which is known better in societal parlance as software professional.

I understand that by being born in poor country like India, i made myself disadvantaged to people who lived in a rich country. I will do the same and sometimes better work than them but still i'll be paid less since the wretched cost of living index of a country decides my pay packet. I sometimes wonder about my middle class values of hardwork and sincerity. These are the values that all these software companies thrives upon. As a paid labour ,i m entitled to fair working hours. But since i have been taught right from my childhood that to be successful i need to work hard, harder then the most of the ppl arnd me; i work, work like an idiot, at times like a dog. But what is end result of this taxing endeavour ??

My project leader delievers a project to a company owned by the rich of the world (most likely some MNC), within deadlines ,surpassing all the quality standards and the customer is happy. My Project manager pats me on my back,says something complimentary to me (which at times may be accompanied by some meagre monetary appraisals) and hands me over another project. Since by then i m little rejuvenated and little less tired, partly because of rest that i have been bestowed with recently and becasue of PL's pats on my back (Afterall it's not everyday tht ur PL says nice things abt u); I start working with a renewed enthusiam in a hope that all i need to achieve immortality is sincerity and hard work. Needless to say i feel highly disllusioned not before long.

Indian software companies thrives on their least cost philosophy. They offers such an irresitible prices to their customer that, had size and risk factor of a project won't have to be taken into account they will land up with almost all the software projects under the Sun. The only reason that they can offer such prices is the cheap labour they have at their armlength. The wage differential between indian companies and other companies is a very important factor in tilting the decision in their (indian companies) favour.

But the question remains, who ultimately pays the price for this bargai? who else but the poor fellow who writes the code.He work under the pressure of ridiculously tight deadlines and as a result ends up working for inhumanely long hours. The plight of the situation is that he rarely gets anything more then peanuts for his efforts when compared to the profit his company generates because of it. His personal life suffers tremendously and all he can hope from the situation that one day this will change which in the normal course of things rarely happens.

This is the story of almost every software engineer working in India. I can not help but seeing similarities between this system and the old slavery tradition. Earlier a slave used to work hard in a vain hope that one day when his master will be happy of him, he will set him free.A slave wanted a happy end to his otherwise tragic story. These days a programmer works hard in a hope that one day he will stop coding and will be told to take some managerial responsibilities and his gloomy days as a programmer will be put to an end.

Seems like the business has only grown bigger in terms of number of people and amount of moneyinvolved. The basics, however remain the same-- the one who has the money uses the people who don't have it to have some more money in his wallet. Who cares for the penniless afterall !! But since these are the days of democracy, perks and paypackets are provided, unlike the slaves but just sufficient enough to keep the mouths of people shut. (Money, however little it may be; has been the greatest sedative afterall from the start of human civilization).

And the Great Indian Software Industry show goes on.

ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sad but true.
vinu_scorpion
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Really amazing story.... Read on...

There was a contest in to write a fictional story for 500 words max which wud start with the line "On a dark and foggy night, a small figure lay huddled on the railway tracks leading to the Bangalore station"

This is the award winning story!!!!!

On a dark and foggy night, a small figure lay huddled on the railway tracks leading to the Bangalore station. At once I was held back to see someone in that position during midnight with no one around. With curiosity taking the front seat, I went near the body and tried to investigate it. There was blood all over the body which was lying face down. It seemed that a ruthless blow by the last train could have caused the end of this body which seemed to be that of a guy of around my age. Amidst the gory blood flow, I could see a folded white envelope which was fluttering in the midnight wind.

Carefully I took the blood stained envelope and was surprised to see the phrase "appraisal letter" on it. With curiosity rising every moment, I wasted no time in opening the envelope to see if I can find some details about the dead guy. The tag around the body's neck and the jazzy appraisal cover gave me the hint that he might be a software engineer. I opened the envelope to find a shining paper on which the appraisal details where typed in flying colours. Thunders broke into my ears and lightening struck my heart when I saw the appraisal amount of the dead guy!!!!!

My God, it was not even, as much as the cost of the letter on which the appraisal details were printed.... My heart poured out for the guy and huge calls were heard inside my mind saying "no wonder, this guy died such a miserable death"... As a fellow worker in the same industry , I thought I should mourn for him for the sake of respect and stood there with a heavy heart thinking of the shock that he would have experienced when his manager had placed the appraisal letter in his hand. I am sure his heart would have stopped and eyes would have gone blank for few seconds looking at the near to nothing increment in his salary.

While I mourned for him, for a second my hands froze to see the employee's name in the appraisal letter... hey, what a strange co-incidence, this guy's name is same as mine, including the initials. This was interesting. With some mental strength, I turned the body upside down and found myself fainted for a second.

The guy not only had my name, but also looked exactly like me. Same looks, same built, same name.... it was me who was dead there!!!!!!!! While I was lost in that shock, I felt someone patting on my shoulders. My heart stopped completely, I could not breathe and sprung in fear to see who was behind......... splash!!!

Went the glass of water on my laptop screen as I came out of my wild dream to see my manager standing behind my chair patting on my shoulder saying, " wake up man. Come to meeting room number two. I have your appraisal letter ready"

purni
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

"The latest designer clothes, but a worn out body" this is really fantastic!!!!!! i jus loved it.

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

He was short. He was sharp. He was the brightest boy in his class. His seniors would ask him to solve their difficulties in Science. He could have go unnoticed in the crowd, but once you asked him a question related to Physics or Maths, there was a spark in his eyes. He could Grasp theories of Science faster than the speed of light. He came from a poor but educated family. His father was a high-school teacher and an avid reader of english literature.

He, like all the boys in the class was trying to get admission into some engineering college.The brighter-ones wanted to study in the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT ). There was an entrance test for IIT. This boy, along with his friends, applied to appear for the test. They did not have any special books or coaching.

All these IIT aspirants would sit below the shade of a stone mantap close to chamundi hills in the sleepy town of Mysore. He was a guide for others. While the others struggled to solve problems in the question paper, he would smile shyly and solve them in no time.He sat below a tree and dreamt of studying at IIT. He was then only sixteenyears old.

D-Day came. He came to Bangalore, stayed with some relatives and appeared for the entrance test. He did very well for test but would only say "OK" when asked. It was the opposite when it came to food...."OK" implied bad, "good" implied ok, and "very good" implied good!! His principle was never to hurt anyone.

The IIT entrance results came. He had passed with flying colors and the highest rank. He was thrilled !! He went to his father who was reading newspaper. "APPA, I have passed the exam". "Well done,My Boy". "I want to join IIT".

His father stopped reading the paper. He lifted his head, Looked at the boy and said with a heavy voice, "You know our financial position,and I cannot afford your expenses at IIT. You can stay in Mysore and learn as much as you want." His father was sad that he had to tell the bitter truth, but it could not be helped.

The teenager was disappointed. He was so near to fulfilling his fondest dream, yet so far. His heart sank in sorrow. He did not reply. He never shared his unhappiness with anyone. He was an introvert by nature. His heart was bleeding but he did not get angry with anyone.

The day came, his classmates were leaving for madras (today called chennai). They were leaving from Mysore to chennai. They had shared good years at school and he went to wish them good luck for their future. At the station his friends were already there. They were excited and discussing their new hostels,new courses etc. So he stood there silently. One of his friends noticed and said "You should have made it". He did not reply . He just wished them. He stood there even after he could no longer see the train or the waving hands.

It was June 1962 in the mysore city. Yet he stood there motionless. He said to himself ,without anger or jealously, "All students from the IITs study well and do big things in life. But it is not the institution, ultimately it is you and you alone who can change your life by hard work".

This son of a school teacher became a pioneer of India's software industry. He is none other than Infosys founder and present Chairman, Narayana Murthy. His motto being, "Powered by intellect, Driven by Values".

kausalya
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

HI all

Vinu....i shud say thanks to all those beautiful posts.
After a really long time..... i was browsing thru the forum... and this topic is really interesting i shud say....... may be bcoz i feel the words...... i may not be a software engineer..... but believe me..... a lot others are in the same boat......

As I was reading thru the posts....... I remembered the discussion we had in our literature class in college.....
The discussion was bout success....
Is success.... name? fame? money? power? degrees after ur name? ur photo in the paper? awards and trophies and medals in the show case? finding a place in the history book? people rushing and pushing for an autograph? travelling in a car with the red light above it? scoring the 1st rank in an exam?
Being the first person to do something which no one else has done? being a child prodigy? knowing a lot of influential people? icon_question.gif

If i was asked I wud say NO. If these were success, then only a handful of people in this world are successful. But the fact is there a lot more successful people, just that they are not known and they dnt have to be.

For me,
my grandfather(maternal) is a successful man...... being a sincere advocate he is..... serving more than 50 yrs at the bar and still practicing at the age of 77..... inspite of being thru a bad phase in his life wen some bad habits had taken him completely....
my grandmother(maternal) is a successful woman..... who inspite of the bad phase which they had to phase...... brought up her 4 children..... unlike many cases where we hear the family takes a wrong decision.
My parents are successful for bringing up 2 girls in a middle class family budget....... facing the usual problems ......
and the list goes on for everyone is successful in their own way for wat they hav done........
Just bcoz some one is a house wife or a coolie doesnt mean they are not successful. Doing one's job well and wishing gud for everyone is wat is most important.......
Wen seen this way.....the ones those who are not successful become handful........ they are those who are the most selfish(take a note - not self-centred but selfish), the ones who get happiness out of someone else's pain......
We can live a very simple life and still be successful and happy icon_biggrin.gif (the most important factor and the ultimate factor we all crave for).....

If we are doing our job well.... lets be happy bout wat we are doing..... and feel gud bout oneself........
dat doesnt mean stop at whr u are...... but only means be happy for watver little we've achieved also......

"Success is relative" - Doesnt come only wen u've money and power and all the above mentioned list...... but a relation u alwez have wit u...... icon_smile.gif

Cheers
Kausalya
vinu_scorpion
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The lion was so happy and started thinking of a central A/c environment, a goat or two every day and a US Green Card also. On its first day after arrival, the lion was offered a big bag, sealed very nicely for breakfast.

The lion opened it quickly but was shocked to see that it contained few bananas. The lion thought that may be they cared too much for him as they were worried about his stomach as he had recently shifted from India.

The next day the same thing happened. On the third day again the same food bag of bananas was delivered. The lion was so furious, it stopped the delivery boy and blasted at him, 'Don't you know I am the lion...king of the Jungle..., what's wrong with your management?, what nonsense is this?, why are you delivering bananas to me?'

The delivery boy politely said, 'Sir, I know you are the king of the jungle .. but .. you have been brought here on a monkey's visa !!! '

Better to be a Lion in India than a Monkey elsewhere..

vinu_scorpion
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Read on the true incident of a lady and just keep on laughing !!!!

One day I met a sweet gentleman and fell in love. When it became apparent that we would marry, I made the supreme sacrifice and gave up eating beans.

Some months later, on my birthday, my car broke down on the way home from work. Since I lived in the countryside I called my husband and told him that I would be late because I had to walk home. On my way, I passed by a small diner and the odour of baked beans was more than I could stand. With miles to walk, I figured that I would walk off any ill effects by the time I reached home, so I stopped at the dinner and before I knew it, I had consumed three large orders of baked beans.

All the way home, I made sure that I released all the gas. Upon my arrival, my husband seemed excited to see me and exclaimed delightedly: "Darling I have a surprise for dinner tonight." He then blindfolded me and led me to my chair at the dinner table. I took a seat and just as he was about to remove my blindfold, the telephone rang.

He made me promise not to touch the blindfold until he returned and went to answer the call. The baked beans I had consumed were still affecting me and the pressure was becoming most unbearable, so while my husband was out of the room I seized the opportunity, shifted my weight to one leg and let one go. It was not only loud, but it smelled like a fertilizer truck running over a skunk in front of a pulpwood mill.

I took my napkin from my lap and fanned the air around me vigorously. Then, shifting to the other cheek, I ripped off three more. The stink was worse than oked=20cabbage. Keeping my ears carefully tuned to the conversation in the other room, I went on like this for another few minutes.

The pleasure was indescribable. When eventually the telephone farewells signalled the end of my freedom, I quickly fanned the air a few more times with my napkin, placed it on my lap and folded my hands back on it feeling very relieved and pleased with myself. My face must have been the picture of innocence when my husband returned, apologizing for taking so long.

He asked me if I had peeked through the blindfold, and I assured him I had not. At this point, he removed the blindfold, and twelve dinner guests seated around the table chorused: "Happy Birthday!" I nearly died!

vinu_scorpion
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

33 Facts about Guyz

1. Guys don't actually look after good-looking girls. They prefer neat and presentable girls.

2. Guys hate flirts.

3.When a guy says he doesn't understand you, it simply means you're not thinking the way he is.

4. Guys may be flirting around all day but before they go to sleep, they always think about the girl they truly care about.

5. When a guy really likes you, he'll disregard all your bad characteristics.

6. Guys go crazy over a girl's smile.

7. Guys will do anything just to get the girl's attention.

8. When you touch a guy's heart, there's no turning back.

9. When a girl says "no", a guy hears it as "try again tomorrow".... so true.

10. You have to tell a guy what you really want before he gets the message clearly.

11. Guys love their moms.

12. A guy would sacrifice his money for lunch just to get you a couple of roses.

13. A guy often thinks about the girl who likes him. But this doesn't mean that the guy likes her.

14. You can never understand him unless you listen to him.

15. If a guy tells you he loves you once in a lifetime. He does.

16. Beware. Guys can make gossips scatter through half of the face of the earth faster than girls can.

17. Like Eve, girls are guys' weaknesses.

18. Guys are very open about themselves.

19. It's good to test a guy first before you believe him. But don't let him wait that long.

20. Guys hate it when their clothes get dirty. Even a small dot.

21. Guys really admire girls that they like even if they're not that much pretty.

22. If a guy tells you about his problems, he just needs someone to listen to him. You don't need to give advice ... very true.

23. A usual act that proves that the guy likes you is when he teases you.

24. Guys cannot keep secrets that girls tell them.

25. Guys think too much.

26. Guys fantasies are unlimited.

27. Girls' height doesn't really matter to a guy but her weight does! ... very true.

28. Guys tend to get serious with their relationship and become too possessive. So watch out girls!!!

29. Guys are more talkative than girls are especially when the topic is about girls.

30. You can truly say that a guy has good intentions if you see him praying sometimes.

31. If a guy says you're beautiful, that guy likes you.

32. Guys hate girls who overreact.

33. Guys love you more than you love them, If they are serious in your relationships.

Doesn't this all make sense?

vinu_scorpion
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Check it out. It's really interesting!!!!!!!!!

1. Open internet explorer
2. In the address bar type the following
3. http:// <your name>.youaremighty.com and press enter For e.g.: http://vinod.youaremighty.com
4. Turn on the speakers if available.

And remember its believed that looking at this page with your name coming up like that increases your self esteem and drives you enthusiastic, confident and powerful over a period of time….

Hope u had enjoyed it…

l_santhosh
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Kewl one man.....Flattery is indeed good advertisement.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger

View next topic
View previous topic