Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
ootyboy
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Webiste looks great guys. I feel IBA need to get involved in few more activities like contributions to our community. Identifying talented students from schools, colleges and funding them for higher studies is another area of focus.

Some villages still do not have water connections. IBA can help solving them if it is a money based issue. I know it is not that simple, but if we can initiate now and see how things progress.

People are ready to contribute money for Badaga welfare. But they are afraid that money might not reach or may be misshandled. There are several ways to keep track of them.

I am running two Medical shops back home. An average donation my manager is paying per month for two shops nears to be Rs. 100. It might be same in someones case too.

Heritage Inn, KNM Group Of Companies, Surya International, Riverside Estates are few other examples who have made good contributions for various activities.

The Bottom Line - Let us contribute/fund our own community.

Probably we all know how United Way was started.

Helathy Suggestions/Comments Welcome...

Tippu Nanjan (Arihatty)
Washington
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ootyboy wrote:
Quote:
I feel IBA need to get involved in few more activities like contributions to our community..... IBA can help solving them if it is a money based issue......

This is a great concept that has been oft-repeated in the badaga.org forums. It all depends on what IBA members want to do since the IBA consists of nothing but the body of registered members on badaga.org. This web site can be a great way of organizing such efforts. The Web Team is ready to facilitate if IBA members come forward. If there is a need for a section dealing with community contributions we can provide it. This section would let members detail critical needs and opportunities, as well as provide a means of collecting and tracking contributions from members, provide accountablity, and report results of charitable actions. What we need is a panel of IBA members who can take the lead on this. The Web Team will provide full support. Thanks.

Webmaster
ravibalraj
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

as a badaga I want to help and improve our community people, pls. join "hattiga nakka" by Blue Hills Education and Development Association (BHEDA) (A badaga wellfare org) group and develop our people and u also for details pls. contact my e-mail
ootyboy
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good. Lets start the ground work on selecting panel of IBA members.

I would recommend selecting a NRI and a Resident Indian on Board.

Contributions to the Group can be of any type....

Money,Books,Clothings...etc. Interested members can also donate Blood.

Lets get started.... maybe we might not get well organized at the first shot, but we can have something going.

Tippu Nanjan
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

...I remember an old saying..." If u wanna clean the world start with ur garage". If totalitarian development of the community has to be addressed, needs have to be assessed village by village by well-off people from same village. It so happens many times that in the name of overall development, people tend to forget the units (here I mean the villages which constitute the broader set - the community) which are crucial in reaching the objective. Development may reach a stalemate if mass participation is not involved...it starts only at grassroot level.

We may take the example of women self help groups which are a huge sucess in every village. Similar measures could be thought of in terms of society building. We are generally a very hospitable community. Why shouldn't we tap the opportunity in tourism in the hills...why can't our houses be converted to stress free acomodations for the tourists? That will bring in a revenue stream good enough for a sustainable livelihood.

Many ideas as such prosper in our thoughts...despite the various hurdles. Let the road to prosperity start small and Sincere best wishes for my peers in the forum!
smathan1
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The number of registered members accounts for less than 0.5 percent of the badaga community. I think we need to drive up the membership.Invite all your friends and relatives to register. Next would be to make the internet available in all villages as source of knowledge. This will allow the people in the villages to express their concerns and needs. The site would become a real forum to communicate with the entire community. Projects can be developed based on needs.
Increasing the registration will also allow us to become aware of the available resource in the community (people in high office, in institutions etc ) that we may be able to tap on.
sivakumar_jm
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Very well said icon_smile.gif, and thats very true.

In most of our villages - there are many people interested in public services already - many already have these in practice.

We have to merge using this as a base and start global development efforts
santy_sans
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As already stated by our friend smathan1 the need of the hour for IBA is to drive up the membership. Only then our community members can be made aware of any such nobel Idea.
If a facility can be Provided in the portal itself wherein formal Invitations can be sent by IBA members to their friends and relatives to join the association ,it will definetely have a positive impact in this direction.
Right now I don't know whether such a facility is available in the portal, If not I request the Admin to look into this matter

Regards
Santosh Sankaran
chavi_3
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
Though it is a good idea to start a internet facility in all hatties....we should also understand that many people dont know how to read or write english. Why not have our contents written in tamil. If possible have a educated person in charge of each internet center so that he or she could translate what the others have to say.
Moreover if people are really free they could educate people with basic understanding of the english and tamil alphabets and few words which would encourage people in our community to learn more and understand things better.
How about encourging people to grow cash crops like lettuce,broccoli,capsicum,mushroom etc... This could bring a revenue to the hatti if they join hands and work together. People need a change to encourage them.Bringing up ideas which have not been implemented early would encourage them of boredom.
I am really surprised by the number of people employed in our community.I can see it increasing day by day and that would surely bring happiness to everyone around.I am really proud of their effort.

chavi

Occasional poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Our community's dependence only on tea crops is not a good strategy. In my view every farmer should diversify his farming into three sections: One can be Tea, Second can be Diary Farming or something of there choice and third should be any cash crop like broccoli, Mushroom etc. Failure of one crop will not ruin the whole financial structure of the family.

Land holding is getting smaller. Economics of scale does not recommend very smaller holdings. If families can get together and work as self help group, they can achieve good results. We should try to develop employment inside hutty as well. Economical development is a must. ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO SPEND THERE MONEY IN HUTTY or in other words attract money into hatty. Young people can get together and learn carpentry skills and become an expert on the same and start manufacturing furniture on part time basis and sell them to new bride and bridegroom at a reduced cost. Create carpentry skill group, an electrician skill group etc. If the same group wants to become bigger they can market there product into town and

Building houses for new families are required. If our village people contribute time to help build houses for each member in turn will be bring the people of village together. This noble cause will remove all the boredom for the young people in hutty. The noble deed will not go wasted by the guy upstair.

WE SHOULD LEARN TO RESOLVE CONFLICT: AGREE TO DISAGREE AND ALLOW OTHERS TO LIVE IN DISAGREEMENT.

Do not allow others to divide our people in name of politics, religion (By conversion). Politics has only divided our villages.

So many times this topic has been posted in the web nothing seems to have happened. In my view we require leadership in villages to coordinate and execute some program at our village level. Our village people should help them self. There are a lot of ideas floating around, but no one to execute and manage.
vijaybellan
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This appears to be a good discussion which has the potential to transform into work and bring positive results. I appreciate the views of Mr.Nandhi. Mr.Nandhi has rightly pointed out, that the need of the hour is to” Agree to disagree and let people live in disagreement”.
Once we gain expertise in carpentry or other crafts we may use thousands of our own people living in other towns and cities to market the products made in our hatties. We are people who are known to survive with change and therefore I think it is time for us to identify other sources of income apart from tea plantations. Dairy Farming and cash rich crops are indeed good options.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

santy_sans wrote:
As already stated by our friend smathan1 the need of the hour for IBA is to drive up the membership. Only then our community members can be made aware of any such nobel Idea.
If a facility can be Provided in the portal itself wherein formal Invitations can be sent by IBA members to their friends and relatives to join the association ,it will definetely have a positive impact in this direction.
Right now I don't know whether such a facility is available in the portal, If not I request the Admin to look into this matter

Regards
Santosh Sankaran

There is a 'Recommend us' link for this purpose that was added a while ago.

Last edited by admin on Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
purni
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Why not have some local volunteers to join hands to make this happen?who is going to take up this" risky" responsibility?that is what i'm concerned about!!!!

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If 2 volunteers from each village take responsibility its more than enough.......But the main issue is lack of fund....Lots of canvassing must be done...Addressing people can be done during Hethai Habba(most of badagas gather).... Its not really an easy task...If somebody takes an initiative it can be implemented ........ Who is that SOMEBODY??????????
purni
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Why cant that somebody be u and me???????????????????????????

View next topic
View previous topic