Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
pshiv
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

friends,
I am proud to be a badaga, to be born in the queen of hills and for my upbringing with traditional values.
I would really like to know the views of our community. I think it will also be helpful for us to understand our people.
cheers,
shiv
navia
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Shiv,
interresing qn icon_exclaim.gif indeed.

am i proud to be a badaga?

For the kind of life i enjoy in the Nilgiris, surrounded by lush grass, mild breeze, oattakudi udhaka, fluent English, the way people look at me the moment i tell them that i'm from Ooty....i feel lucky, thankful, blessed...but is this a reason to be proud of icon_wink.gif ?

The Badaga tradition... icon_confused.gif u mean the traditional costume that we no longer wear, the dance which thankfully lives atleast in our hattis, the idha mane, oge mane and erra that we discard when we renew our homes, the changing trends in weddings...does ungara mani exist? To our relief, hukalikuva(i'm sorry if i spelt it wrong icon_redface.gif ) tradition still exists.

We r changing, aren't we? (I mean adopt not compromise) Why would we change so rapidly if we are really proud icon_question.gif

May be its this way icon_idea.gif ... i'm proud to belong to a community that can accept changes with less resistance but strives with all its will in the modern world to define, prove and establish its ever green individuality! icon_smile.gif
pshiv
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

thanks navia for ur views........
we keep changing as everyone in this world does.......i dont think people still live in the caves and eat raw meat. it is good that we live a better life which the modern world provides towards communication, entertainment etc.
i think what matters most is what we carry with us.........like the family bonding ( i personally feel that no other community in this world can challenge us in this regard) hospitality etc
navia
Starter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hey that was really quick!

Quote:
we keep changing as everyone in this world does.......i dont think people still live in the caves and eat raw meat. it is good that we live a better life which the modern world provides towards communication, entertainment etc.
Exactly! no bickering!

Talking about hospitality ....everybody,i mean other communities serve their friends and relatives just like we do too! But being hospitable, courteous and polite to strangers guess thats where we stand miles ahead of the others. And "family bonding" didn't quite get u.

We do hold on to the virtues, history and the heritage of our ancestors(as much as we can)! I'm just curious about how far down the road we'll carry them? I myself can see how much less i know about our community than my parents. Given that this has been the trend for generations now, will the kids of the future generations have something left to be proud of?
nanjundan
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi

The only thing constant in today's world is change.We change because need exist.Its universal phenomen and it applies to our community as well.We needn't have to stay in caves n eat raw meat to prove that we havn't changed.I'm proud to say that we cant benchmark no one with us for the kind of hospitality we render to less known people or sometimes even to strangers. U still have got ur oga manai, edhai manai called as pooja room and sitting room due to change in communication.Its just a sheer ignorance to tell that we dont know certain things about community which really forms the base for everything. ungra mani is still alive and it will continue to be alive aslong as marriage is alive. Morethan anything else we have a strong faith in our community thats why we all are here and i strongly belive our tradition will see more generations as long as we dont change.Lets be proud of being a badaga.

warm regards
nanjundan
kalps4ever
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi !
First of all we should like ourselves before we expect other to like us. The same goes for being proud of what we are "BADAGA". Yes I am proud of being one of the descendant from the founders of HOSPITALITY . We badagas are known for many more admirable qualities which have outshone other communities.
As we know that we cannot decide on the past, so is it with us being born as a BADAGA. But we are lucky for being born one of them.
For those who have pointed out that changing trends and modernaisation may pose a treat on Badaga to fade away:
Remember that NOT ALL QUALIFIED ARE EDUCATED BUT THOSE WHO ARE CULTURED ARE EDUCATED..
BADAGAS are the CULTURED.
Let us basically be a good human being ...
Kaly
pshiv
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i appreciate the views......guess we all have almost same kind of feeling.
navia, i did not mean to hurt u by my remarks on modernising...pls take it in the right sense.
abt "family bonding"....the love and attachment we have for our family and relatives. it includes everything like the extent we are prepared to sacrifice, thinking that whatever we earn is for us (not for me alone like most of the communities live) etc
cheers
shiv
karthikeyan
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hi shiva you have bought up a good topic thanks really to prove an badaga. i lik to be in the orgin ie ooty but when work and money matters i have lft ooty but once in two months i visit ooty along with my friends they say no community is so kind like yours im really happy that time im proud to be a badaga. it is not the matter of modernising we guys have power ad sterength so we are always morden. i really app navia for her love to the community

Starter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

thank u karthikeyan, that is the spirit each one of us should have. it is unfortunate that we dont have enough source to provide employment for everyone but nevertheless we have many things to be proud of.
even people from countries like US, UK etc travel outside to earn.
cheers
shiv
navia
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh!...Hold on buddies!

Let me first make it clear that i'm not a Luddite... and this isn't a campaign against modernisation!
It is compromising certain aspects of individuality and in turn culture for mere convenience under the cover of modernisation that bothers me.( not clear...?) Brides to be, for instance, being asked to wear only a chain without a ring when they actually have to be wearing 'ungara mani' is what i called "compromising culture for convenience".
Quote:
We change because need exist.Its universal phenomen and it applies to our community as well..............Morethan anything else we have a strong faith in our community thats why we all are here and i strongly belive our tradition will see more generations as long as we dont change.
May i repalce the word "change" in the first part of the quote with 'adapt/adopt' and the very last word with 'compromise' to stress my concerns, Mr. Nanjundan?
Shiv, u are just being optimistic about (pure)modernisation, (nothing healthy hurts)and fine about "family bonding"! This is not only love but also duty to the community, after all, Karthikeyan we are only proud to be a part of it!
nanjundan
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Adapting is only a temproary phenomen and as it continues the mighty change is inevitable!

warm regards

nanjundan bhojan
pshiv
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

great!!!!!!!!!!thats is the point ..........

This is not only love but also duty to the community, after all, Karthikeyan we are only proud to be a part of it!

expected lot of our people to be proud and thought of asking this later. "WE ARE PROUD TO BE A PART OF IT" BUT WHAT PART SHOULD WE PLAY TO MAKE EVERYONE IN OUR COMMUNITY TO FEEL PROUD OF. please share your thoughts and i believe it will be the first step if we stop criticizing the suggestion of our people
shiv
drrams
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

1. One could hardly find a silent killer called dowry.
2. A thing called simplicity (irrespective of the age, qualification and position etc.) will be always there in deed.
3. Most of the people work for their whole family rather for individuals.
4. Most of the people concentrate on dignity and integrity…... always.
5. Most of the people look for internal qualities of bride/bridegrooms like education, their family background (whether rich in quality etc) instead of external ones viz., financial related, external appearance etc when the question regarding wedlock comes….
6. People always ready to work their level best whole heartedly without any hesitations and expectations when good and/ bad things happen.
7. One could hear an invaluable word called “OLLANGEY IDHEYA??/ IDHARAA??”…….. always (it has real power or something indeed).
8. Most of the people have the tendency of helping others.
9. One could see the real homes.
10. One could find people with real intelligence (irrespective of the areas/fields) even though they don’t have their own script.
In short, one could see people with rich in human...always.

Yes, I believe that the only community which has all these characteristics is BADAGA and of course exceptions will be always there. Hence, AM VERY PROUD TO BE A BADAGA icon_smile.gif .

Cheers
Rams
bala_yb
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi !

Being born in Nilgiris to a badaga couple is the biggest award GOD gave me before even i came to know about our community.
Many liked me as a person just bcoz that i am from badaga community.
By character which is more important to a person i feel proud that our community stands FIRST in the world.
Many of my friends ( non badagas ) LOVE us (badagas) for the care we show on each other and so to them.
I always try to tell to every person i meet abt our community and our culture.Now that i am working abroad ..i really miss our place and our people so much..
One of my tamil friend wants to have a get together with our college freinds at NILGIRIS.I was so HAPPY to see his mail stating tht NILGIRIS is the best place to live in.
I am proud of our community.BADAGAS are GREAT !!
HETTAI AMMAN is there to bless us all.

with luv,
Y B Bala.

Starter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

rams pointed ten points to all of us which reasoned why each one of us to be proud and bala too pointed the same in diferent words. hands-together to them............WE ARE PROUD and we want everyone of us proud........if someone of u are'nt we will make u.........,by pointing several other things.
cheers,
shiv

View next topic
View previous topic