Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A Badaga lady in Singapore has expressed her views about non entry of women to Hethai temples and they have been published in my website http://badaga.in

I agree with Sofiajoghee. I am a staunch believer of Hethai Amma and written extensively on Hethai Amma History and Hethai Habba in my websites.

It is still a mystery to me why we do not 'allow' women to enter the Hethai Temples at Beragani and Pedhuva hattis all the time and on a regular basis. Yes, we all consider that Hethai Amma, as the name indicates, is our Goddess and deity in the FEMALE FORM like other Goddesses, Parvathi, Sarasvathi, Lakshmi, Kali or Durga. But when it comes to certain rituals and entry to Hethai Temples...it is a big NO NO.

Are we following something blindly without any rhym or reason? Do we need to change our mindset? Should FAITH and religion be imprisoned to gender bias??

Occasional poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is not blind faith.This has been into practice for ages and these are few traditional values which is holding our faith strong and its growing stronger day by day.Dont debate on issues like this.Follow else leave others to follow.
jrajagopalan
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Restriction of entry to Hethai temple

The Beragani Hethai is believed to be 'Kanni',who had not attained 'kanni Oluvu'. The female oluvu period is normally considered 'Theettu'.Now a days,girls of the age of nine and above are started getting their age and this may occur at anytime and anywhere.In order to avoid this 'Theetu' inside the temple, females are not allowed to enter the temple.

I have no authority to state this as the valid reason,but this is what I heard from some of the elderly Hethaikarus.
deva_mathan
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Going by medical report and info available on internet, I feel it is not blind faith that women are barred from entry to temple. During their Regular mensuration cycle, the reports says women tend to fell depressed/ exhausted and sometime behave in a very unusual / angry manner.

These behavioural psychology might have been realised much ahead of modern day medical sciences by our early generations with good common sense and hence such prohibitions may be accepted.

having said that, I also would like to add, that with modern medical progress and advanced education the new age women may try to solve this in progressive way.

Cheers!

View next topic
View previous topic