Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
rajeshbojan
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Comrades,

I recently heard from one of my friend that Badaga matrimonial has experienced a new change. So far marrying from “anna thammuru” villages had been banned traditionally in our community but recently I heard that it has been approved by the local Badaga association and the only restriction is for blood relations. I would like to get details on the authenticity of this matter. I would be happy if anybody could find the real up-to-date status.

Regards,

Rajesh Bojan
[/b]
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What you heard may be partially true. If that happens, it would be a 'huge' change.

My personal view is that we should maintain the tradition that we should not marry from the

1) 'same' village - as we are 'anna thammaru' and

2) also should exercise a lot of caution if we choose to marry from the same commune -Ooru - like Jakkadha Aaru Ooru (Jakkadha, Karakorai, Bearhatti, Manjidha, Mel Bikkatti and Kiya Bikkatti etc) not only due to traditions but taking into consideration the fact that marrying among close relatives result in medical problems like sickle cell anemia

But, at the same time, blindly following the 'moray' system in vogue has resulted in unnecessary 'restrictions' and in my opinion, has made youngsters look for match from outside the community.

High time, we bring in some much wanted social reforms that will have long term changes.

But the million dollar question is, which association is going to 'bell the cat?'

Ideally it should be the Nakku Betta Badaga association lead by Lawyer Bobbli from Chennai association who seems to have the endorsement of other Badaga associations spread all around

Last edited by bjaypee on Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
deva_mathan
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What's good and What Changes are needed ?

Whether we like it or not, the changes are bound to happen, as our area of circle spreads when we move out for betterment either in search of job or after a decent qulification or move out of hatties in search of livelyhood.

There are few cases where marriage within 'morai' / anna thammaru did happen and two cases proved to be exceptional. In both the cases, they have become multimillionaires. Instead resulting in medical complications, Both the cases have become an exception, and both are living in exceptionally comfortable position both jobwise and in financial gainwise. One of them happend to marry own sister's daughter, with the consent of all family members. The other one was a case of secret marriage that was not ;approved'

While exceptions are not examples, it is still better we look for medical complications of the boy and girl concerned.

Definitely, we need to keep traditional ways while evolving new moves. Keep the local acceptance amongst the interested groups in place. But envisage the medical test first.

Cheers.

rajeshbojan
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I agree with the statements you have made. Still, viewing the difficulties faced by our modern generation especially for the search of brides is something that we should immediately attend to. Though marrying among close relatives may or may not create some medical complications, I believe there could be nothing wrong in marrying from distant "anna thammuru" villages. Whether we approve it or not in near future this change will happen and the "seeing murai" will be eradicated.

I would be happy to communicate with Lawyer Bobbli regarding this. Could you help me getting his contact number or at least his email?

Thanks once again for keeping the forum alive.

Rajesh Bojan
http://www.rajeshbojan.com

Dr. R. V. Arts and Science College
Mettupalayam Main Road, Karamadai
Coimbatore - 641 104
Tamilnadu, India

Ph: 9500383981
rajeshbojan@gmail.com
rajeshbojan
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have confirmed from Lawyer Bobbli, Head of Badaga Association, Chennai that no rule as such (anti-morey) have been implemented. He stated clearly that none of the associations would encourage something that is against the tradition.

I shall discuss about this matter further in the right perspective through a right medium in future. I have a lot to express.

Dr. R. V. Arts and Science College
Mettupalayam Main Road, Karamadai
Coimbatore - 641 104
Tamilnadu, India

Ph: 9500383981
rajeshbojan@gmail.com

View next topic
View previous topic