Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

'Paamé - the history and culture of the Badagas of the Nilgiris' by B.Balasubramainam

Bala with his wife Gayathri

Now we can proudly say that there is book on the history and culture of Badagas BY a Badaga himself.

Balasubramaniam, son of 'the walking encyclopedia' and a source of so much information on and of Badagas, Bella Gowder of Jakkadha [see the page on the informed elders ] is an engineer by profession who has written many books on management and other topics. He is known to me for many decades and had told me that he was writing a book on Badagas some time earlier.

After about two and a half years of painstaking research, Bala, as he is known among friends, has produced a book on Badagas titled 'Paamé' which is available in all the leading book stores in M.G.Road, Bangalore, for Rs.295/-. Karnataka Badaga Association, Bangalore offers this book at a discount of 30%.

You may, also get copies from the Publishers of this book 'Elkon Animations, 11 First Cross, Bhuvaneshwari Nagar, Sir CV Raman Nagar, Bangalore-560093'. www.elkonindia.com [info@elkonindia.com] Incidentally, Elkon Animations is owned by another great Badaga Engineer and my good friend Yedapalli Raju, Bala's brother in law.

Bala,informs me that his book was vetted by no less than four well known historians who vouched for the authenticity and that he is confident that any Badaga who reads the book will be proud to say that she/he is a Badaga.

A detailed review of the book will be written soon in these columns.

Do I need to say,"buy this limited edition book at the earliest before it gets sold out "

Once again hearty congratulations to you, Bala, and a big thank you for making us proud to be Badagas.

You may also contact me at bjaypee@gmail.com for getting this book

The Hindu, Bangalore Edition, where a review on PAAME appeared on the September 3rd, 2009 issue http://www.thehindu.com/2009/09/03/stories/2009090350270200.htm. Excerpts :

“There was a need to give an Indian perspective to the literature available on the community, as most works on Badagas have been authored by foreigners,” said Mr. Balasubramaniam, a qualified engineer, on the objective behind the book.

He pointed out that a large number of youngsters needed to know about the community, its roots, culture and traditions. “Despite migration, the Badagas have retained many cultural aspects that existed during the 14th century. An aggregate of Vokkaligas, Lingayats and Brahmins, the Badagas live in harmony, and I wanted to showcase this to the world,” says Mr. Balasubramaniam, himself a Badaga

Also see - www.badaga.in

Last edited by bjaypee on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:23 am; edited 3 times in total
ravibalraj
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks to BJP!
Congratulations and Thanks to Mr. Bala & Family for making us proud to be Badagas.
sriprakash
Starter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Great work done ....
Congratulations to the author great Mr. Bala.
Kindly let us know if we can get this book in Chennai.....
Eagerly waiting to read the book.....

Starter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My sincere gratitude to Mr. B.Balasubramainam for his spectacular work on our community. Can someone let us know is the book available in Coimbatore city? So that, we can quench our knowledge thirst on our BADAGA community

bjaypee wrote:
'PAAME - the history and culture of the Badagas of the Nilgiris' by B.Balasubramainam

Bala with his wife Gayathri

Now we can proudly say that there is book on the history and culture of Badagas BY a Badaga himself.

Balasubramaniam, son of 'the walking encylopedia' and a source of so much information on and of Badagas, Bella Gowder of Jakkadha [see the page on the informed elders ] is an engineer by profession who has written many books on management and other topics. He is known to me for many decades and had told me that he was writing a book on Badagas some time earlier.

After about two and a half years of painstaking research, Bala, as he is known among friends, has produced a book on Badagas titled 'PAAME' which is available in all the leading book stores inM.G.Road, Bangalore, for Rs.295/-. Karnataka Badaga Association, Bangalore offers this book at a discount of 30%.

You may, also get copies from the Publishers of this book 'Elkon Animations, 11 First Cross, Bhuvaneshwari Nagar, Sir CV Raman Nagar, Bangalore-560093'. www.elkonindia.com [info@elkonindia.com] Incidentally, Elkon Animations is owned by another great Badaga Engineer and my good friend Yedapalli Raju, Bala's brother in law.

Bala,informs me that his book was vetted by no less than four well known historians who vouched for the authencity and that he is confident that any Badaga who reads the book will be proud to say that she/he is a Badaga.

A detailed review of the book will be written soon in these columns.

Do I need to say,"buy this limited edition book at the earliest before it gets sold out "

Once again hearty congratulations to you Bala and a big thank you for making us proud to be Badagas. Image

You may also contact me at bjaypee@gmail.com for getting this book

The Hindu, Bangalore Edition, where a review on PAAME appeared on the September 3rd, 2009 issue http://www.thehindu.com/2009/09/03/stories/2009090350270200.htm. Excerpts :

“There was a need to give an Indian perspective to the literature available on the community, as most works on Badagas have been authored by foreigners,” said Mr. Balasubramaniam, a qualified engineer, on the objective behind the book.

He pointed out that a large number of youngsters needed to know about the community, its roots, culture and traditions. “Despite migration, the Badagas have retained many cultural aspects that existed during the 14th century. An aggregate of Vokkaligas, Lingayats and Brahmins, the Badagas live in harmony, and I wanted to showcase this to the world,” says Mr. Balasubramaniam, himself a Badaga

Also see - www.badaga.in

Coimbatore
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Bala's book 'Paamé' is available at Higginbothams Ooty,Chennai and Coimbatore and also at Oxford book house, Coimbatore.

Better still, this ‘must read, limited edition‘ book is available to all friends who visit this site at a discounted price of Rs.250/- inclusive of postage/courier charges any where in India. You may deposit the amount on line in my bank account and the book will be dispatched.

I have gone through the book a couple of times and can safevouch that this book will make every Badaga very proud to belong to this great and unique community.

My detailed review follows soon in http://badaga.wordpress.com/the-story-of-the-badagas-paame-by-bala/

‘Paame’is a promising book.The amount of hard work – research – is visible right through. Bala makes his intention of writing this book right in the beginning in the ‘Preface’ “This book is primarily intended to showcase to the world the history of this small, well-knit (Badaga) community, that till half a century ago was only residing in the Nilgiri Hills of Tamilnadu. At the start of the 20th Century, a few leaders of the community with the immense foresight saw the future of the community prospering only by imparting formal education to their youth

View next topic
View previous topic