Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear All,
As we know Ooty town is occupied by various people from different parts of the country. Of course its good in humanitarian aspects that we Badagas unlike other people, always have a sound culture of wonderful Hospitality. But its taking in other direction now due to the fall in tea price that our people have started to sell our precious Tea Estates and even Agricultural lands to outsiders for a meagre money.
Lets not consider about the quantity of money they get, but is it worthy to sell our precious lands to outsiders? In common terms, we do not have any rights to ask our people not to sell their lands as we know that the situation is growing worse day by day. But in long term view, what exactly happens after 10 or 20 years, after selling all the lands and estates? Will not there be any danger of Expulsion of our own people by the encroachers?
For example, I am from Godalatty village and I heard that some group of a company from Hyderabad have chosen a land in my hatty and they are ready to purchase in huge acres and they are even ready to pay nearly 7 to 8 lakhs per acre of bare land. Its not even with tea plants. But the most ridiculous aspect is that no one showed interest in knowing what exactly the company is trying to do there. There could have been be some sound discussions before selling the lands which once gone are gone for ever. Atleast they could have asked for some employment in the conditional basis if the company wanted to acquire the land. Its a most pitiable situation that there is none to explore things.
I heard that this type of Land acquirement has started with full swing. Outsiders now have started to encroach even the hatties. People have started to build their houses just a few yards away from the hatties. Its time now to wake up. Finally it might definitely end up with the story of the camel which encroached the tent.
I also heard that meetings were planned around by Gowdas of Hatties in order to stop these type of encroachments. But I do not know how far it would proceed. There is no clear details. Its hard to gather details once we are out.
Dear Brothers, what could be done? I would invite the views about the situation. Expecting the views..............

With Love
Gopenath.
deva_mathan
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Gopenath,

The land prices have shoot up to 15 lakhs along side road from Ooty to Hatties.

The Concept of Hatty Gowda will not help since they would go by opinion rather than strong financial acumen and future troubles. The Traditional Badaga hospitality has also nose dived - due to TV serials of perennnial snobbing of female folk.

The working in lands and earning has also declined.

Badagas started 'encroaching' city life in the belief of earning more leaving the precious land. WE have to do some retrospections rather than
introspection.

I am thinking , to bring back the glory to hatty by slowly inculcating the habit of geeting basic amenities and self sufficiency inside the village.

I hope to get support of like minded people.

Cheers!

gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Anna,
As you pointed out rightly, that the Gowdas would definitely go to meet the solution for the present situations and they would no longer wait for saving the lands. Ofcourse, the fault is not on their side as the situations lead them to go for it.
As per the Scientific survey, nearly 80% of people who live in Metropolitan Cities suffer from serious health and mental disorders. Though they appear to be confined with the salary they earn, The slow stress keeps reducing their life without the knowledge of themselves.
Now aware of this Stress induced life, people started realising the importance of fresh water and air which are turning more precious than anything in this turmoiled world. But we poor people never understand the importance of the gift that The Nature has laid in our hands.
"KAIYOGE BENNAI YA BEETHUNDU THUPPAGA ALAVA MAKKA"
When we ordinary Human beings are so attached with respect and fame. We become so irritated when we find that we dont get respect and recognition. If this would be the case, then How would the Almighty feel who has immense power of creation if we dont respect His gift for us. When we dont respect the gift that which our Hettai has given, there is no wonder that She would part the gift and hand over it to the crying children(outsiders other than Badagas).
We dont feel the importance of the Shade when we are under the tree. When we are put in the hot desert, then we realise the importance of the lovely shade which we would never get in the desert where we are totally lost.
Only thing that I would like to do is give my sincere prayers at the feet of our Hettai Amman requesting Her to bring back the Glory of our wonderful Nilgiris and the our Best people on the Earth.

"KARUMA VE ILLADHA DHARUMADHA KOLAVA KANNEERE
ILLADHE KAATHU BAA
SALLEGA SERADHA BADUGARA KOLAVA KANNEERE
ILLADHE KAATHU BAA
HETTAI KANNEERE ILLADHE KAATHU BAA"

With Love
Gopenath.
deva_mathan
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Gopenath,

YES - We should pray the 'HETTHE'. all alongside with the hardword that was displayed by our AYYAS & HETTES and bring back the glory.

Over the years, the "SALLEGA SERATHA" type has declined and getting provoked at the slightest instance has embedded in the minds of new generation.

There definitely are, good intentional people in hatties. But when more numbers are 'VENTURING' to city life nothing stops them becasue the 'other' several takes shelter in tasmac shops as if the liquid served there will solve ALL their problem.

Unless these groups realize their NEEDS and MUST TO BE DONE to solve theri own problem to some extent then only the PRAYER to HETTHE to save all of us will have sound meaning, and HETTHE will be "HEARING" the requests from her "KIDS" and protect us from the present and future calamity.

The current price in Nilgiri Tea around Rs 10/Kg is the effort of FIRs filed at police stations in The Nilgiris. All of us must join hands with Mrs Anitha Gokuls in this forum who has been highlighting these issues .

Undesr such JOINING hands together ONLY will strenghten the local economy at our Hatties.

Let us hope for betterment.

Cheers!

skumar09
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi All,

I think we have to make a rule that nobody sells the land in our hatties....even if they are selling...it should only be to our people only....we want our land and our beauty.....Its God's Gift.......

Vishwa, Muttinadu
gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear Vishwa,
Nice to see your post. But as per the current situation, already most of the land has been sold and still in steady progress. The pitiable condition is most of the people sell their properties and go settle down in the plains. But no one thinks or are aware that the ground water level in the plains is being drastically reduced.
There may not be any problem for the time being. But in the long run, due to global warming and water scarcity, definitely a day will arise where we people cannot survive in the plains and think it would be better if we could go back to our heaven `The Nilgiris`. But it would be too late to realise that already the heaven might have been occupied in full and we need to beg them to survive in our own land.
But what to do? Unless the person himself realises, nothing could be done.................... Face the concequences..................

Schnittsphanstrasse 3,
64287 Darmstadt, Germany.
skumar09
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As stated by you, even I have come across conversations along people from your same hatty regarding selling of lands to the people from outside. I too want to join hands with you regarding the matter, but I don't know how to. As you said, if they had asked the buyers for something stable return if at all it was a business or production related concern that they are going to with the lands they purchase from us, really it would be wise, but I see that many of our folks are just after mere money (which may be now BIG) but when time passes by, they will only sit and regret or be telling stories, once upon a time i was the ..... to their grandchildren. If I was wrong in my expression, I really apologize to the readers and please do inform me how I can do it in a better way.
gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi,
I feel in my personal opinion that there is nothing wrong in your views as we didnt point out any body in particular. Its a common agenda. I just pity my own village. I am just wondering what all the changes would be coming in the near future. And its too late for us to make people understand the situation and also we cannot take care of a whole village single handed unless like minded hearts join hands. These are not my discouraging words but the practical difficulties. You could just see the number of responses to this post and its so meagre. I expected responses long back but ..........................
So is the response, so is the progress. Its not just for a pass of time or fun that we read through the various issues. There is lack of seriousness. Well no more words. Lets hope for the betterment at least by heart.

Schnittsphanstrasse 3,
skumar09
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, I agree with you. As you said, with such meagre icon_eek.gif response regarding such a sensitive issue, icon_idea.gif I think, we can at least join at least like like-minded ones. If any progress regarding the same, please do let me know and my mail.id is skumar0999@rediffmail.com. (ph no: 9787779796) icon_smile.gif
gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello Vishva,
Thanks for the support. May I know from which hatty you are from? And its not that easy to convince people in the direction of saving the lands. First of all, in order to execute something, we need to execute the things first with ourselves. There is no meaning in just going with words for the sake of forum and not executing anything.
So I just started with my own family asking my parents not to sell any land even if it is in cents. My parents do live in Coimbatore and we dont have any access to agriculture and tea business. So we dont actually need any land there to cultivate anything as its too difficult in today´s life to maintain all those.
Slowly I am trying to implement this. If I succeed with my family, others in my family may also support in our views. If a few families start this, a small village may join and so on................... As I said its not an overnight work. We really need patience and steady faith. I am not able to do this in person as I am away from the scene.................. Hope for the best.

Schnittsphanstrasse 3,
sundarnb
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

அன்பு சகோதரர்களே

கோபிநாத் எழுதியுள்ளவை அனைத்தும் உண்மையே. ஆனால் எல்லாமே தற்போது கையை விட்டு போய்விட்டது என்பதையும் கவனிக்கவேண்டும். தேயிலை விலை குறைந்தப்போதும் அதை தொடர்ந்து கூலி அதிகரித்தப்போதும் வேறு வாழ்வாதாரங்கள் இல்லாமல் பலர் நகரங்களுக்கு குடிப்பெயர்ந்ததும் இருந்த கொஞ்ச நஞ்ச நிலங்களை விற்று அந்த பணத்தை கொண்டு புறநகர்களில் சிறு இடம் வாங்கி வீடுக்கட்டிக்கொண்டு நகரங்களில் கிடைக்கும் ஏதோ ஒரு வேலையில் தங்கல் வாழ்வை ஓட்டுவதையும் பார்க்கிறோம்.

மேலும் பலர் தோட்டங்களை பராமறிக்க முடியாமல் எதற்காக வைக்கவேண்டும் நல்ல விலை கிடைக்கும் போது விற்றுவிடலாம் என்று நினைக்கின்றனர். எதிர்காலத்தில் என்ன நடக்கும் என யாரும் யோசிப்பதில்லை.

கோத்தகிரி-குன்னூர், கோத்தகிரி-ஊட்டி, குன்னூர்-மஞ்சூர், குன்னூர்-ஊட்டி, ஊட்டி-மஞ்சூர், ஊட்டி கூடலூர் என சாலைகளுக்கு அருகில் இருக்கும் அனைத்து இடங்களும் விற்கப்பட்டுவிட்டன. அல்லது விற்பதற்கான பேச்சுவார்த்தை நடந்துக்கொண்டிருக்கிறது என்பதே கசப்பான உண்மை.

சமீபத்தில் மஞ்சூரை தாண்டி முள்ளிமலைக்கு அருகில் சுமார் 8 லட்சம் விலையில் பல ஏக்கர் நிலத்தை L & T வாங்கியிருக்கின்றனர். அதே போலவே ஆறாவது மைல், தாம்பட்டி பகுதிகளிலும் வாங்கியிருக்கின்றனர். 2003ல் ஒரு ஏக்கர் 3 முதல் 4 லட்சம் வரை இருந்த நிலங்கள் 20 முதல் 30 லட்சம் வரை ஏறினால் யார் தான் கொடுக்காமல் இருப்பார்கள்?

வெளியாட்கள் எதோ ஒரு திட்டத்துடன் தான் இப்படி வாங்கி குவிக்கின்றனர். ஆனால் ஏமாறுவது என்னவோ நாம் தான்.

இதை தடுக்க ஒரே வழி

ஒவ்வொரு அட்டியிலும் ஊர் கூட்டம் கூடவைத்து அவர்களிடம் நிலமையை எடுத்துக்கூறவேண்டும். வெளியாட்களுக்கு கண்டிப்பாக விற்கவேண்டாம் என எடுத்துரைக்கவேண்டும். விற்பவர்கள் படுக சமுதாயத்து மக்களுக்கு மட்டுமே விற்கவேண்டும் என ஊர் சட்டம் போடவேண்டும். மேலும் படுக இன மக்கள் புரிந்துக்கொள்ளும்படி விளக்கவேண்டும். வெளிநாட்டில், வெளி ஊர்களில் இருக்கும் நண்பர்கள் அவர்களது அட்டியிலுள்ளவர்களுக்கு இதை தெரியப்படுத்தி ஊர் கூட்டம் கூட்ட சொல்ல வேண்டும்.

இது ஒன்று தான் வழி.

சகோதரர்களே ஒன்றுபடுங்கள் இன்றே உங்களால் முடிந்ததை செய்யுங்கள்.
ootyraaj
Starter

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

hi gopi, good writing up from u, what to do? we badagas becoming worse day by day, in most of the hatties all the houses were locked as they all started settleing in the cities (Coimbatore & Tirupur), apart from that those who are well educated also started leaving hatties as they get good job at abroad, now a days i see most of the badaga families who leave in ooty town use to talk tamil when they are at home, they also feel shy to speak in badaga, what a sad? even their parents engourages them to speak in tamil not in badaga. if this continues i think within 10 years most of the badagas will forget about their origin and culture, after 10 year the ooty will be occupied by other people and the badagas will only be in the history book.
deva_mathan
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Instead becoming History, I pray we create aining History by regaining our past [lost] glory

Cheers !

View next topic
View previous topic