Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
rajkumar
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Does the unprecedented migration of badaga families from Nilgiris to other cities and abroad signal the doom for our badaga hatties? Will the next generation of migrated children understand our culture and way of live? Finance,economy, progress and search for better quality of life for ourselves and our children has taken the educated population out of our hatties. Our forefathers had to migrate out of neccessity fromMysore but collectively stayed and built our hatties for hundreds of years. Now the second run has begun. What will happen next? I hope someone is saving our 2 old badaga movie prints; maybe that is all our children will get to know about badaga culture!
deva_mathan
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is a natural phenomeno in all 5 sense creatures. Only as 6th Sense human we migrated a little based on specific needs. In fact this is a welcome move than being cozily sipping Tasmac Stuffs at Hatty.

There are people who found Sipping tasmac stuff is birth right and asking some one to sponsor when they visit hatty is their unwritten code of conduct.

Thanks to the poor yield of green leafs. When tea rates were high, our people over indulged in all their activities. Now a decent rate seems under payment for their excess.

Let people migrate, face the worse outrside and then get back to hatty for hard work ! Let us wish them all good luck

bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I can understand the agony and pain with which Dr.Rajkumar has spoken about the 'Second Wave of Migration'.

But then, where ever we may be, if we can try and preserve our culture in whatever little way possible, like teaching our children how to speak in Badaga, ...or visiting our hattis frequently...or having badaga get -togethers in far off countries..Nattu Nadadhu...my mind wavers....

I had recently visited " Gaikandy " and a little earlier " Naihatty "... such wonderful hattis with so much of scenic beauty and hospitality ....but I feel ashamed that I have not even gone to most of our hattis even once.

So, let us - the people who are away - as well as those living in Nilgiris, as a first step, resolve to visit our hattis more often along with at least one more hatti that we have not visited so far...

Hopefully, with the visit, we may get a vision to preserve whatever our forefathers wished for.."GODE MANE KATTI, ONDAI ENDHU, OLLENGE EBBO"

May be, there will be a time, when reverse migration becomes a reality !!

Last edited by bjaypee on Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
deva_mathan
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lookoing into the migration issue the jokes comes to my mind.

A question was posed to God : Lord, What is that spaciality of humans you have created.

Following is the answer :

1. They will live as if they will never die and they die as if never lived
2. They always worry about the future and forgets present.
2. They do all sort of things and loose health to accumulate wealth and loose all waelt to regain the health

Jokes apart ,. I am remind of following issues. Pollution free atmosphere. I do not see any place better than hatties. The Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkatta, Banglore and even the less known cities like Hyderabad, PUne, Coimbatore are over crowded with vehicles and any amount of road expansion and brdiges will not suffice.

Every thing is expanding.. So also our desire to accummulate wealth.

Can we try to recall, our Ayyas and Hettais, lived in smaller houses and with larger food grain storage system, with cattles and were least dependant on others and Marriage Ceremony and Death Ceremonies are participated hole heartedlly ?

Whatever the technology growth, agriculture will sustain. This will take more time for average person to realize.

Recently I have seen 3 to 4 uncleanly dressed person were enetering banks to deposit small sums, where as well dressed brothern are heading towards tasmac shops. Where have we erred?. The basic thoughts.!

If you ask some one why not do agriculture, pat will be the reply that, birds, monkeys and pigs will spoil. Ask some one in their sixties and seventies, their father's dared to keep wild animals away by fires and uncovered sheds for cattle in the midst of tea gardens. Today, we are our own enemies. Where is the question of winning?

Our attitudes will decide our altitude!. We lived in one of the highest peaks in India and pushing ourselves to the sea level eventually to be submerged. More retrospection needed, as to what we want to be.

Over the years we last out turbans. The days are not far we will loose what is indide our head.

Whenever you wake up it is the mornning. Lets wake up.

gopenath
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Dear all,
I am Gopenath from Godalatty. Ya we always have the intention to safe guard our basic culture and other sasthirams and sambiradhayams. Its really good, but practically speaking I dont think that the parents of today teach their children regarding these important aspects.

Most of the parents (BUT NOT ALL) today want their children to have a good education and settle in a Foreign country for a lumpsum of money. I dont think that they show much importance to teach their children regarding our cultural aspects.

I myself dont know what is the importance or so many sastirams and sambiradayams held during marriages and Death. May be the fault is with me that i dint take much actions towards knowing all the things. But do all youngsters today tend to learn these? I certainly will say no for the exceptions of those who have a keen interest.

I also stay in a Foreign country for my studies but i really would come back to India after my studies. It was the way that our people behave towards someone who stays in a Foreign country makes me much worried. They some times give so much of importance to whom stay in Foreign than for who stay in our hatties. Why this partiality? From where it has come? We all are one and I beg those people not to compare the Human personalities with respect to knowledge and money.

I think its too huge. Still to come in the following mails.

Schnittsphanstrasse 3,
64287 Darmstadt, Germany.

View next topic
View previous topic