Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
naveen_sankaran
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have often seen people claim 'Avarai' and 'Gaasu' as being one of our traditional food items.
But I have read in books that these were introduced by the British to the Nilgris and other hill stations like Darjeeling when they ruled, because the climate was very much similar to that in England.

I am curious to know what was the staple diet of our ancestors before they came in contact with 'outsiders'.
A relative of mine told me that our diet used to consist of 'Batha ku', 'ottukudi' etc.

Can some elders here elaborate on that?
Also, what did they do for liquor? icon_smile.gif
deva_mathan
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Navin,

Batha Ku, Erigi, samai, Keerai,{ Keerai Ittu ] Ganjikke [ Ganji Ittu] all these were regular foods in our Badaga Community as long as I knew. I am not ready to accept ' Avarai' was introduced by Britishers. It should have been there even before them.

Avarai, Kallai, Dodda Avarai, Thogili, Ella Avarai, Totta Avarai all are, I opine, is of the same family. [ I am not a researcher in this subject] -

Badgas were more dependant on Milk & Buttermilk. Drinks were perhaps introduced by English. As badagas were socially bind, there might not be knowledge on Drinks - which any way is a good thing.

I suggest, we better avoid researching about drink Habits.

View next topic
View previous topic