Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
vinu_scorpion
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

THE MYTH OF BADAGA ORIGIN & MIGRATION

-Where does myth end, and memory begin?
-Where does legend end, and history begin?
-And where does fiction end, and fact begin?

These are some of the question this myth/legend explores.

The Badagas are one of the important indigenous peoples, and the largest single community in the Nilgiri Hills which nestle at a point where the rugged beauty of the Eastern Ghats merge with the wooded verdancy of the Western Ghats, in Tamilnadu. Since the Badagas have no script, their history has been documented in other languages (mostly English) by non-Badaga historians and anthropologists (mostly westerners). Since the Nilgiris formed part of the Mysore state domains till 1799, the question of the migrations of the Badagas to the Nilgiris, does not arise.

It is said that during the reign of Tipu Sultan, seven brothers and their sister were living in a village called Badagahalli on the Talaimalai Hills near Mysore. One evening as the sister, who was a ravishing beauty, was busy making preparations for the milking of the cows as usual, one of the calves broke loose from the tree to which she had tied it . Not finding anything handy with which to tie it again, she uncoiled her long, luxuriant hair and held the calf back with it, while her brother milked the cow.

Legend has it that Tipu Sultan was riding in the vicinity and was witness to this sight. He was captivated by the sister and wanted to marry her. The brothers, who were staunch Hindus, disguised themselves and their sister, and fled by night to the Nilgiris. Legend has it too, that when they reached River Moyar, which is the northernmost limit of the Nilgiri District, their pursuers started to close in on them. The family is said to have placed a ‘Shivalingam’ on the ground, and prayed before it. The river Moyar is then said to have parted, and the refugees to have crossed over, while their pursuers were drowned by the closing waters.

The distinctive dress of the Badaga women is said to be the disguise adopted by them in flight, and the tatt-ooing on their fore-heads and fore-arms, a measure taken to make them unattractive. Legend also has it that in their hurry, they forget to pickup a baby asleep in a cradle, and even today, as a reminder of that lapse, the more orthodox Badagas will not use a cradle for a baby. The brothers are said to have settled down near the present village of Bethelhada. After a short stay there, they separated and dispersed in different directions. The oldest brother told one of his younger brothers to follow a deer and build a village where it stopped. The younger brother followed his instructions and settled down in Kinnakorai, where the deer stopped. Another brother settled down in Koderi, yet another in Hubbathalai. These brothers where the founders of the Porangad division of the Badagas.

The establishing of three other ‘semais’ or divisions have interesting histories behind them. It is said that as one group of Badagas or Gowdas reached the Nilgiris, they took shelter in a forest and in their hurry to leave, left a baby behind, which crawled into a cave. A Toda who happened to pass by glimpsed the baby, and enticed it to came out, but it would not. He then went and brought his own child and sprinkled some roasted amaranth grains in front of it. As the Toda child started picking the grains, the Gowda baby joined him, and the Toda father brought him up and it is said that he is the founder of the ‘Thothanad’ division of the Badagas.

According to another account, two Gowda brothers arrived from Mysore and reached Nunthala. They were very hungry. The younger brother is said to have shot a pigeon, and to have roasted and eaten it, while the elder brother abstained. It is said that the vegetarian brother is the ‘Hethappa’, or ancestor of the Kundah Division of the Badagas, while the non-vegetarian brother, the founder of the Mekunad Division of the Badagas.

lok_here
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This is from womenswriting.com by Indu K Mallah right ?
If not from womenswriting.com plz send me the source. I want to collect all the articles by Indu K Mallah.

Check this out.

http://www.womenswriting.com/writerdetails.asp?writerid=109#1

-lok.
vinu_scorpion
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I got this as a mail from one of my friend...
Should be from the same site which u have mentioned...

Thanks for the Link.....

preethir
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hi
manojmathappan
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Guys,
Couple of years back i read an article in the magazine Wisdom that our origin is from West Bengal. It says that we have migrated from West Bengal to Karnataka and then to Nilgiris. The article also says that the other name for Badagas is "Vadakkan" which means North Indian. I am really confused on this. Are we from Karnataka or West Bengal?

Regards,
Manoj
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Our immediate ancestors are from Karnataka which is an accepted fact. Any extrapolation beyond that would be an arbitrary guessing at this point of time.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
nramesh
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

WIKIPEDIA----Free Encyclopedia
Hi Everybody
Donno how far you all are aware of this website...just check this...if you want to know history of anything, type the word and make use like google search...great site...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

check the below link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badagas

Occasional poster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Vinod's posting was great. Ramesh's wikipedia link is in same line of my discussion form "Badaga Lineage's Genetics". It seems to me that good percentage of our population is of this origin.
Thanks
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have been browsing the wikipedia for long time now and only only can state that the wikipedia goes by public perception and subjective understanding rather than substantiate with evidences. For first hand knowledge it is good, but when one is deeply involved it raises questions of its authenticity.

Secondly, anybody could submit their views and edit a subject based on their personal findings which further raises serious doubts about its originality!
bjaypee
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What Vinod has reproduced (without acnkowledging the fact that the article was originally written by Ms.Indu K Mallah but subsequently accepts that fact when pointed out) is indeed a topic that needs further research.

Incidentally, I came across a booklet written in Tamil by (Late) Mr.N.N.Pokka (Bogga?) Madha Gowder of Nadu Hatti, some sixty/seventy years back, about the 'History of Hethai' { Sri Hethaiammal Sarithiram} which may throw some light on Badaga origin.

Since I could not upload the pages in badaga.com I have given it in my website http://badaga.wordpress.com

Last edited by bjaypee on Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A piece of info

Wikipedia rival launched...Report sourced from http://www.ciol.com...

CALIFORNIA: A new encyclopedia project is set to rival Wikipedia as the go-to destination for general information online. Like Wikipedia, the Citizendium (sit-ih-ZEN-dee-um), or "the Citizen’s Compendium," will be a wiki project open to public collaboration. But, according to the new venture, " unlike Wikipedia, the community will be guided by expert editors, and contributors will be expected to use their own names, not anonymous pseudonyms".

The initiative has been started by Wikipedia’s co-founder, Larry Sanger, who, after leaving the well-known wiki project, became one of its more vocal critics. Sanger first announced the effort on September 15 at the Wizards of OS conference in Berlin. Sanger, who holds a Ph.D. in Philosophy from The Ohio State University, has taken a leave of absence from the Digital Universe Foundation in order to lead the new project.

This week, the fledgling Citizendium Foundation will launch a six-week pilot project open to potential contributors by invitation. Wikipedia has accomplished great things, but the world can do even better," said Sanger. "By engaging expert editors, eliminating anonymous contribution, and launching a more mature community under a new charter, a much broader and more influential group of people and institutions will be able to improve upon Wikipedia’s extremely useful, but often uneven work. The result will be not only enormous and free, but reliable."

Gareth Leng, Professor of Experimental Physiology of the University of Edinburgh, has agreed to serve as one such Citizendium editor. Professor Leng said, "Public understanding of science needs scientists to help to explain, clearly and objectively, what science can do and what it can’t, its weaknesses as well as its strengths, its failures as well as its promise. At the Citizendium, our role will not be to tell readers what opinions they should hold, but to give them the means to decide, rationally, for themselves."

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
rnandhi
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Interesting to read the history of vijayanagar & the invaders
A Forgotten Empire: Vijayanagar;

"A fifth, mentioned by Couto,[30] who fixes the date as 1220, states
that while Madhava was living his ascetic life amongst the mountains
he was supported by meals brought to him by a poor shepherd called
Bukka, "and one day the Brahman said to him, 'Thou shalt be king and
emperor of all Industan.' The other shepherds learned this, and began
to treat this shepherd with veneration and made him their head; and
he acquired the name of 'king,' and began to conquer his neighbours,
who were five in number, viz., Canara, Taligas, Canguivarao, Negapatao,
and he of the BADAGAS,"

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext02/fevch10.txt
Bye,
timothyravinder
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

if badagas did not come from mysore state, then where from...
how would we argue with paul hockings on these lines?
i myself am struggling with this topic for some years now.
i would be glad to discuss about it...

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
timothyravinder
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

timothyravinder wrote:
if badagas did not come from mysore state, then where from...
how would we argue with paul hockings on these lines?
i myself am struggling with this topic for some years now.
i would be glad to discuss about it...

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
ootyraaj
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hi friends,

i am a lecturer working in Chennai. as part of my research, i came to know that after the independance (1947) our badaga community have crossed its 3rd generation. very sad part of it is that, the coming 4th generation will forget the values of our badaga community. i kindly need ur views and comments on this regards. u can mail me to ootyraj@gmail.com or even u can call me at +919381039442. -Rajesh. R

View next topic
View previous topic