Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
Poll
Do you think Badagas should become ST's?
Yes 
53%
 53%  [ 14 ]
No 
42%
 42%  [ 11 ]
Not sure 
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 26

rabin
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Badaga tribe fights for ST status

Jennifer, NDTV.com

Sunday, April 24, 2005 (Nilgiris ):

Its as if time has stood still for the three lakh strong Badaga community.

Living in the 360 villages dotted around the Nilgiris, most of them continue to till the land - much as their forefathers did.

But the Badagas have been restless for years - unhappy to be classified as backward class - rather than a scheduled tribe.

Their first public protest was held in 1992, their next a rally in New Delhi in August 1993, their latest as recently as two weeks ago.

"When we started the agitation I was just 19 years - now I am 73 - still we are taking up the issue and fighting," says H N Kalla Gowder, President, Tribal Solidarity.

Tribal communities

During British rule there were only four tribal communities in the Nilgiris - Todas, Kotas, Kurumbas and Badagas.

Whilst the census of 1931 was the basis for the first scheduled tribes list - only three of these were denoted as such - the Badagas found no place there and no one knows why.

They want to be re-included in that category. "When others in the district are included in the tribal list then why not the Badagas - the Badagas have every right to be included - somewhere it is missed," says R Iyaroo, tribal chieftain.

Right to education

The literacy rate at school level is 50 per cent whilst 20 per cent of men and 15 per cent of women have pursued higher education.

The right to education, and hence progress, is seen as the main advantage of getting scheduled tribe status and there are other benefits as well.

"Educational rights under article 14, Employment under Article 16 and minorities rights under Article 29 and 30," says K B Bojan, advocate.

It has been a 50-year long struggle for the Badaga community. These tribals, who have lived in these hills for hundreds of years, say that all they want is what they know to be their constitutional rights that they be classified as a scheduled tribe.

http://www.ndtv.com/morenews/showmorestory.asp?slug=Badaga+tribe+fights+for+ST+status&id=72020
rabin
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Nilgiris tribe demands reserved status
NewKerala.com 11 April 2005

Chennai: A hill tribe in Tamil Nadu's Nilgiris district has demanded that it be included in the Scheduled Tribes list.

About 1,000 people from the Badagas tribe gathered at Kotagiri in the Nilgiris Sunday to press for their demand.

Speakers of the Badagas -- Indo-Aryans who migrated to the Nilgiris from the plains of Mysore about 2,000 years ago -- recalled that they had been in the protected list till 1939.

President of the community, R. Iyyaro, said their demand had been pending since the 1990s when the DMK government led by M. Karunanidhi had urged the centre that the Badagas be put in the Scheduled Tribes list.

This was echoed by Chief Minister J. Jayalalitha in 2003.

"It is time the union government comes forward with a favourable decision," Iyyaro said at the convention.

--(c) Indo Asian News Service
http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/news/features.php?action=fullnews&id=96506
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Rabin,

Couldn't cast the vote, please check application settings. If the problem is with my browser, let me know.

Coming to the discussion...

I gravely remember the time at ooty, probably at school, when the first official agitation took place. Couldn't decipher what it was all about then, people congregating at the YBA hall and quite a few vehicles parked on the sides of Breeks school compound. Life was a fantastic journey where me and my mates (a few of them are very active members here!) liked asking questions and hated being questioned.

Over a cup of tea at home, happened to ask my uncle (kunnappa) what the meeting was all about. I was shaken when he said " Nangaga ST status beku endhuthaa! ".

Emotions running high and unable to accept the reality of our men fighting for an ST status, I took it as a personal insult if I was to be called a scheduled Tribe. Sometimes, being termed a BC in itself was indigestable. It was a matter of PRIDE and DIGNITY. My environment did not warrant such an identity in the first place.

Decades later, a wiser man having seen the travails of life through a Golbal perspective, I understand the significance how a caste status would have benefitted my brethren in the GREAT INDIAN RED TAPE BUREAUCRACY WHERE ONLY THE FITTEST SURVIVE.

An ST status would mean MORE PROVISIONS FOR JOBS in the publice sector (which will strengthen the economic backbone of the community), reservations in the education sector (such that BUDDING TALENTS CAN DREAM BIG in joining elite courses at lesser cut-offs), SOPS from the union government to set up SMALL and MEDIUM SCALE ENTERPRISES, IMPROVISED RURAL HEALTHCARE FACILITIES and much more...the intangible benefits are endless.

Hence, IAM FOR IT.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ebhari wrote:
Couldn't cast the vote, please check application settings. If the problem is with my browser, let me know.

Only members who have logged in will see the voting options. And once a member has voted, the poll option will not be available. This is to ensure that only registered members vote, and vote only once.

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Noted, Voted, Thanks.
srikumar
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Regarding the squable for ST status with the government...I have started a new topic called 'Everyone SHOULD READ THIS'...The link there will give you all a new insight to the yesteryears of Badagas and what lead to this social status problem.

Starter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Before entering in to the discussion forum I want to introduce myself. I am Gopalakrishnan from Halakarai village. Basically a civil engineer at present working as a Planning Engineer for NHAI Road Project with SMS Ltd., in Tirunelveli.

It has happened see the news of our people's fight for ST status immediately after entering in to this web site. Because other than sports news I am not much interested in other topics and also don't have the habit of watching any news channel.

But I couldn't digest our people's fight for ST Status. What are we going to achieve after getting the ST Status? In what way our social and economical status will get developed. I don't think there will be much changes in our community even after getting the ST Status.

Moreover If u see the reservation Quota for SC/ST in Medical/Engineering College seats will normally be 1 to 3%. For BC it is about 30% which is about 10 times more than the reservation for SC/ST. I agree that the population of BC Community is much more than the reservation allocated. Even, the fight for ST Status shows that our inability to fight with the other castes BC community. I don't think no other caste people belongs to BC Category is fighting for SC/ST Status than us.

Hence, It is better to think what we have to do to make our people more competitive instead of going backward like fighting for ST Status. You see we have grown upto this level i.e. we have hosted our own website and our peoples are all over India and even you can say all over the world and communicating through the web. But even now if we need SC status, It really shows our community's inability to hard working and our people are really not hungry for success in this competitive world. So, I feel we should really feel sorry for this and try to make ourselves more competitive with the existing BC status which I hope is better tool to move and compete with the other people without any discomfort.

Because, once the people came to know you belongs to ST category, their movements differ immediately and i have seen many times SC/ST people never declares themseleves as SC/ST. Because, the caste feelings are still existing in our society. So, let us think not only on the basis of economical development and also considering the other existing facts in society.

Ultimately my opinion is ST Status will never solve our socio-economic problems and it will really lead to the deprovement instead of improvement of our community. Hence, It will be better if we think what to do for further improvement of our community people with available status and resources.
sierra_senthil
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Gopal ..

Welcome to the fourm. I totally agree with you on all the points that you have mentioned.

Regards
Senthilvel
srikumar
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

WOW!! That was quite a hard hitter for a starter...I never felt this disgusted before...I mean what in God's name are our people trying to do by fighting to get pushed socially backward. This is too awful to describe. I nearly feel like throwing up. icon_mad.gif

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with the points mentioned by Gopal but even now many people in our community dont know whats BC/ST/SC,not many are interested in fighting for the status,some group of people take this up and start working on it and make news.The standard of education in nilgiris should come up so that people can compete with others and attain success. People have protested for more than 50 yrs but all in vain.I think there is no point in fighting for ST status anymore,if we work hard the outcome will be good else icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif
sierra_senthil
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

very true vivek .

Regards
Senthilvel
gopi_nath
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am really very happy to know that our community still have many people to think in forward direction.
I agree with Vivek raju that there are only few people who wants to make a news of it and others really don't have any knowledge about the f Government's Caste classification and benefits.
sierra_senthil
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I guess all of this started during MANDAL Commission Report in early 90's. That was the time when people were trying to get the SC/ST certificate in order to get jobs/admission etc.

Regards
Senthilvel
coolguy
Starter

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MY VIEW IS "COMMUNITY SYSTEM SHOULD BE ABOLISHED" ......... I DONT GO WITH BECOMING ST ... BCZ WHY U WANT OFFERS ?????? WORK HARD TO GET WHAT U WANT ....... [/b]

View next topic
View previous topic