Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
Poll
The Hetthai Habba and its significance as a festival
Just another Badaga festival 
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A Significant festival only in the context of the Badagas 
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
A highly significant festival as an exhibition of Badaga Culture, Harmony and Co-existence 
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 8

ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Happened to be in Beragini on the first day of Hetthai Habba with Mom (as a visitor from Mekunaad) and it was such a wonderful feeling. Followed the sinnadha kodai upto kappati when me and my friend wound off to Milidhane (Too much of Bella Kaapi had its toll icon_smile.gif , just couldn't deny the love and affection!). Very sad that Hetthai Habba is a very low key festival in almost all hatties of Mekunaad and Kundhe Seemai, Nundhala being an exception.

A white dhoti and 25 paise (not necessarily a prerequisite, a denomination which will be extinct sooner or later) is all you need to be part of this unique celebration. All equal. No discriminations. One of the rarest festivals in the whole world.

Wanted to take a few snaps and asked for permission, but earnestly denied by the heads. They said that our community must keep the habba a very internal affair, devoid of advertisements and any other associated pomp and show.

Well, I think the time has arrived for the Badaga to show the world what he is, how unique is his community, culture and core value systems. Why shouldn't the Hetthai Abba be the showcase, the stage for world to know who we are?

Folks, your thoughts please...

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
naveen_sankaran
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Not a bad idea in my opinion.
If not from the point of view of advertising it to the world, it could at least be done for the sake of fellow badagas.
With so many badagas living far away from Nilgiri, it may not be practical for all of them to make it to the habba.
There are so many of our people (including me) who have never had the chance to attend such festivals. And what better way for them to get to know about such occasions and customs?!

Also, with future generations, most of the core customs followed are likely to get diluted on account of migration, globalization, intermarriages and umpteen other reasons. And such events may cease to have the grandness and intensity that they do now.
So why not share them with the world and record them for posterity when it is live and kicking, instead of losing them forever?

Warm Regards,
Naveen

View next topic
View previous topic