Homepage Badaga Community Forum Index FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in Register
Badaga Community
Welcome to Badaga community forum
View next topic
View previous topic
rajooty
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Havva Koddha Pappa :

We as a community have grown many folds. Badagas are in all walks of life……and in all parts of the world.

Yes, I agree change is the only thing permanent in life……but
I am afraid, if we are going to accept the same change in our Tradition & Culture.

An incident I witnessed in a funeral sometime back, triggered me to think of badaga culture. It was unfortunate for me to have seen such an emotional scene in a funeral ceremony. Before cremation as you all know we perform a prayer for the soul to be free of all the sins(Pappa) ……(The most unique in it’s own – Karuharshudu)
icon_redface.gif
It happened so that in the particular ceremony the one said dead was a 14 yrs old boy. When the bell rang for the final rituals all men around were looking at each other to perform as if it was the other mans job. But unfortunately nobody knew it (in a crowd of nearly 1000 pure badaga people) icon_eek.gif

The father of the boy who knew a part of it chanted it with all the heaviness inside him icon_cry.gif …..It was a heart breaking & pathetic scene for anybody to witness. Almost all people there were ashamed of themselves which includes me too. icon_redface.gif

Even worst to that was a dialogue between two middle aged hatty dwellers saying it is kali Yuga…. and its better we die before all forgets our customs.

What should we do to possess our traditional & cultural routines ???????????

Last edited by rajooty on Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
ebhari
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Iam being driven by guilt, embarrassment, unworthiness, feeling of culpability and a sense of inadequacy after reading this message. This should be a wake up call for the whole community to introspect where we stand today.

DREAM. INSPIRE. EVOLVE.
drrams
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, i feel... this is the right time to think about one of our utmost important traditional things called KARU HARUSUDHU.

I met the same situation as raj mentioned a decade ago (during my higher secondary period). Then i learned the same from my grand father at that time itself, and have a copy too at my home. Since am away from my home, couldn't able to post it immediately (the exact one).

But, SOOOOONN (hardly in a couple of months)....
purni
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

COULD YOU PLEEESSSEEE EXPLAIN WHAT KARU HARUSODHU IS?...........AND WHAT IS THAT HAAVA KODHA PAAPA????????? icon_surprised.gif ?

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

As we know that no one is 100% pure in this earth. So, before burying a dead person…..in particular, “AKKI AAKKODHUGA MUNDHAADU” we perform a kind of prayer (three times) starts with e.g., “IYYA NANJA SATHADHONDHU SAAVU…etc etc..(with a slight modification depends upon his/her name and other things) for “AATHMAA SIVALOGAGA SEVADHU-endhu..” (we believe that....a real soul - free from sins). The name (title) of that prayer is called as “KARU HARUSODHU”.

“HAAVA KODDHA PAAPPA” is not the title; it is one of the lines…..
Like …..(infact it is a lengthhhhhhhhy one)

“AYYA NANJA SATHADHONDHU SAAVU
MATHIYA LAKAGA ONDHU PAYANA
….
….
HAAVAA KODDHA PAAPPA
OOJIYA KODDHA PAAPPA…
…….
………
OORAA MELEY URADHADHU
NAADAA MELEY JARADHADHU
KARAVA EMMEYA KANNETHI NODIDHADHU
………
………
MAMMANA BEETHU MACHA EARIDHADHU
MACHANA BEETHU MAMMA EARIDHADHU
…….
……
ATHIGALU AARU SAAVIRA PAADHA IDUDHU
MATHIGALU ANNERADU SAAVIRA PAADHA IDUDHU
……
…..
………
(maadidha thappuga mannippu kethu aa aathmaa siva-logaga serali…endhu eagiyaara..)

Unfortunately, no one knows that “KARU HARASODHU” except a few; hardly we can find one or two persons per village.
Well, as I said… I have a copy of that, will post it soon so that at least our generation……..!!!!!????? icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

OHHHHH!!! MARICHI AATHU AATHUNA AAAAAAAAATHIBHUTTANAA icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif
vivekraju
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Great Ram...Please post the complete version soon..I have heard this in our hatty but was not bothered to know the meaning of it...Now i am very eager to know more...
devanandbn
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi All Namaskara,

Below I have given the detail of a book for our community people ->
especially younger generation those who don’t have a chance to see our various traditional practice / procedure but keen to know about that.

I strongly encourage all to have one -> Really Simple & more informative
(all proverbs / festival details / about 55 lines of ‘KARU HARSHODU’ with meaning of each line etc., yes ..yes…about icon_smile.gif “PAMBA KILL Maditha Offence” icon_lol.gif details also.)

*===========================================================*
Book Title :
BADUGAR PANBADU
NAKKUBETTA

Author :
PULAVAR NANJAN

Written Language :
TAMIL

Address :
SIVASAKTHI PATHIPAGAM,
BIKKOL VILLAGE , BALAKOLA (PO), – Pin 643203.
TAMIL NADU, INDIA.

[ PRINTERS : Nataraj Printers, 23, Ismail Street , Kovai-1 , Phone: 396510 ]
*=============================================================*

This book First Edition was June-2002.
Cost : Rs.25/- (Twenty Five Only).
I am not sure is there any latest edition and what is the latest price etc.,

After reading this book -> you will say
icon_exclaim.gif “ WOW!!! Great words!!! “HelloO Iyyas & Eththes you were/are the BEST & simply GREAT” .
Thanks.

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:31 am Reply with quoteBack to top

That was really great rams.really really great.ithemaake ondhu adadhe endhu naa eega tha aradhe.eaka endhale naa kadisiya saavuga hodhadhu when i was 10 or 11 yrs old.So i didnt get to notice all these.It was bcos that we hardly had chances to visit our hatties on such incidences.In that case raam u r really lucky to have known all these stuff.GOOD!!!!!

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thnx..purni icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Well, Even though have been away from my hatty for more than a decade (almost 14 years), eager to know about the things related to our community and infact we, a small group still doing some social activities for our community as well either physically or mentally or financially or etc etc…

One of our main objectives is that everyone especially youngsters should involve some activities… it doesn’t matter what it is and all, and of course each and everyone has their own schedule related to their job and etc. But…..should involve…if we do at least a couple of things, we can over come many things (chance for the next generation to learn the things as well) and, our community will never vanishhhhhhhhhhh….......

Am I right icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif icon_wink.gif ???????????
l_santhosh
Frequent poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is one of the more important and useful topics I've read in
nanga website.
Thanks for all posters.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo Messenger
ravibalraj
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi Ram
Ninaga Enna Kodi Namaskara
Ninna makkai hattiga obba ithalai pothu nanga (badaga) samuthayaga olliya kala banthu buttara!
Kodi namaskara!
Bettuthokai uttibantho bettagi bappo!
Battumadi nadathu bittiga oppthu gana!

Manjooran
(Ravibalraj)
gopinath
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is unimaginable,undesirable and worse thing to happen to a man to perform the final ritual for his own son,that too an young boy. I am just wondering whether that 1000 pure badags had any kind of guilt and inadequecy of their ownself.

I do not know which hatti it happened.The entire hatti should feel ashamed about it. Rather i would advice MR RAJ to take this matter to NAKKU BETTA . The committe people are there not only to call for agitations .They are also to ensure the traditions being carried out.This is the best and proven scientific method of preventing any community from decaying.I feel our community should answer to such issues.

KARUHARSUDHU is very important and unique practice about our community.we should never let these fine and divine practices to disappear.

NAKKU BETTA people should make an announcement in their future meetings and also to condemn this irresponsible hatti fellows.

JAI HIRIYODAYA,

DR GOPI AYYASWAMY
KERBAN,KOTAGIRI

View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
srikumar
Occasional poster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've attended only one funeral (my granfather's)...I being his only grandson, was the one who had to lead the procession to the burial grounds...Though I think, 16 as I was then, was an age at least to hear something if not understand, I hardly knew what was happening around me icon_sad.gif ...The reason? I was in a complete daze and walking along like a zombie icon_cry.gif ...Probably because of the close bond I shared with my grandfather...Now that I know my job is going to keep taking me further and further away from my current home, let alone my hatty, I will need the book mentioned above more than ever.

I sincerely thank rams and devanand for all the details...and of course people like purni who post short, hot and sometimes a tiny bit silly(whoops..slip of the finger icon_wink.gif icon_lol.gif ) questions to keep the discussions going.

Frequent poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

That was a good comment srikumar!!!!!! ha ha

View next topic
View previous topic